niceonetom Registered User
Lumen Registered User

"They assume no responsibility. They don't put cones out".

Facepalm.

8 people have thanked this post
buffalo Registered User

Lumen said:

Facepalm.

I really hope if I die doing something stupid, my family don't try blame someone else.

On the other hand, if someone kills me with their car door, I really hope someone presses charges.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/biker_dies_ramming_into_car_n9e99lUXpaGXyKqg6mzOEM

Apparently he "peddled into the driver’s-side door". That's what I tend to do when I see a car door open, I cycle as fast as I can into it, see how badly I can injure myself. I ****ing hate newspaper accounts about cyclists' deaths. The short piece in the Times about the tragic accident in the club league mentioned how great modern helmets are. I have yet to read an article about a road death that mentions how fantastic seat belts or airbags are. It shocks me.

2 people have thanked this post
niceonetom Registered User

Lumen said:

Facepalm.

They're running races downhill on public roads without even putting cones out!

You have to imagine how this would sound in an American courtroom. To Americans. With an American level of understanding of cycling. And technology.

It's far from impossible that these eejits could win.

2 people have thanked this post
Jawgap Registered User

Probably explains the message they posted recently.....

"We know the rules. Laws and rules are created for our protection. Cycling, running and swimming are inherently dangerous and following the law, and common sense, when it comes to traffic, weather, or conditions,reduces our odds of getting hurt or hurting others. It’s as simple as that"

A terrible accident, but a bit of a stretch to blame Strava.

Personally, if something like that was to happen to me, I hope my family sue Garmin as well - they've a lot more money than Strava. Apart from that, I'd only ask that word 'idiot' not appear in my epitaph.

Captain Havoc Dog of war

Moved from the camper van, probably deserves own thread.

ThisRegard Registered User

Any death is terrible, but I actually laughed at some of the comments quoted in that story, it reads almost like an Onion story.

3 people have thanked this post
smacl Registered User

In fact, another high profile accident is being tied to the website. The cyclist who killed a pedestrian in San Francisco's Castro District, according to prosecutors was tracking his time on Strava.

Interesting logic. If the cyclist had been tracking his time using pencil and paper, would they sue Faber Castell?

4 people have thanked this post
Jawgap Registered User

I think in the second case the cyclist didn't help himself. Having hit the pedestrian he subsequently went online and was discussing it in a forum. He seemed more concerned about his helmet, than the guy he hit.

http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2012/04/05/was-cyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-reckless

1 person has thanked this post

How brilliantly American!

This from the country in which someone tried to sue God!

Lawyers should get slapped with fines when frivolous lawsuits fail to discourage them from taking them on and wasting the courts time.

Lumen Registered User

Lusk Doyle said:
Lawyers should get slapped with fines when frivolous lawsuits fail to discourage them from taking them on and wasting the courts time.

Surely if they're no-win-no-fee then the lawyers pay already? Who will judge frivolity?

You could as easily blame insurers who settle too enthusiastically. There are some crazy personal injury settlements in Ireland.

hardCopy Registered User

Ridiculous suit, hope it gets thrown out.

Lumen said:
Surely if they're no-win-no-fee then the lawyers pay already?

I wouldn't think so. I'd imagine that the cost of filing and all that still rests with the plaintiff. The fee for time of the lawyer, etc would be encapsulated in the no win, no fee. No?

Lumen said:
Who will judge frivolity?

This guy.

Lumen said:
You could as easily blame insurers who settle too enthusiastically. There are some crazy personal injury settlements in Ireland.

Ok. No problem. Consider it done!

In the Tour de France there's a stage in the competition where a cyclist is crowned "King of the Mountains." William "Kim" Flint had captured that title in an amateur online race, speeding down a hill in Berkeley's Tilden Park and the 41-year-old engineer apparently died trying to keep his record.

This is brilliant. Apparently they got confused that the King of the Mountains is actually going up, not down. If only they watched some highlights.

cdaly_ Registered User

Lusk
Lumen said:
Surely if they're no-win-no-fee then the lawyers pay already?

I wouldn't think so. I'd imagine that the cost of filing and all that still rests with the plaintiff. The fee for time of the lawyer, etc would be encapsulated in the no win, no fee. No?

And then there's all of the defendant's costs for the plaintiff to pay also.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!