Woodward Registered User

Ok I'm pretty new here but I havent been able to find a thread on this topic

Are any of you here involved in the Mens Rights or Masculinist Movements? Is there any organised male orientated rights associations in Ireland except for Fathers Rights?

2 people have thanked this post
iptba Registered User

Woodward said:

Are any of you here involved in the Mens Rights or Masculinist Movements? Is there any organised male orientated rights associations in Ireland except for Fathers Rights?
I'm interested in the issue. But not aware of any groups .

1 person has thanked this post
PucaMama Registered User

Woodward said:

the anti-women kind?

2 people have thanked this post
Woodward Registered User

PucaMama said:
the anti-women kind?

No, the mens liberation kind. I dont know of any that are anti women although there are many people who are anti radical feminism. Masculinism is about freeing men from gender stereotypes and the pressure to 'man up' and suppress their emotions and act 'manly'

38 people have thanked this post
PucaMama Registered User

Woodward said:
PucaMama said:
the anti-women kind?

No, the mens liberation kind. I dont know of any that are anti women although there are many people who are anti radical feminism. Masculinism is about freeing men from gender stereotypes and the pressure to 'man up' and suppress their emotions and act 'manly'

Oh I see I dont think ive heard of them but u never know they are more than likely around somewhere

PucaMama said:
the anti-women kind?

No. The kind that wan't equal rights for men around the areas of childcare, paternity leave, insurance, etc.

58 people have thanked this post
py2006 Registered User

I don't believe their is such an organisation. It would most likely be laughed at or ridiculed from certain other groups or suggestions made about its ethos like the poster above.

3 people have thanked this post
Woodward Registered User

py2006 said:
I don't believe their is such an organisation. It would most likely be laughed at or ridiculed from certain other groups or suggestions made about its ethos like the poster above.

Do you think there would be enough interest to establish one? I know it is a pretty big movement on youtube and reddit but a lot of those activists are from the US where the problem is much, much worse. Some callers in on radio stations and talk shows have hinted at the issues the MRM deal with but I dont know if an Irish mens rights organization could get off the ground

py2006 Registered User

I think those that would be interested in such a group would be men who have fallen foul to the legal system in relation to divorce and children etc. Which from reading boards over the years would seem to be quite a lot.

Aside from that, it would be difficult to get a lot of men involved because men 'just don't care' strongly enough about those things. I'd like to think I am wrong on this.

Piliger Registered User

Woodward said:
Do you think there would be enough interest to establish one? I know it is a pretty big movement on youtube and reddit but a lot of those activists are from the US where the problem is much, much worse. Some callers in on radio stations and talk shows have hinted at the issues the MRM deal with but I dont know if an Irish mens rights organization could get off the ground

It's an excellent idea but unfortunately Men have become incredibly passive in recent decades, as they have been pounded by the women's movements. The result is that they don't stand up for themselves until they themselves are screwed.

The whole divorce court setup, the fathers rights, paternity leave and other issues are hurting thousands and thousands of guys every year but at the moment it's not seen as cool to fight back.

It will take a few guys with balls enough to persevere to get this kind of group off the ground I fear.

11 people have thanked this post
Piste Registered User

I would completely support a men's right's movement. I'd think it sad that it would have to be seperate from the Irish Feminist Network or any women's right movement. It'd be nice to have an all-encompassing Gender Egalitarianism movement that discussed, lobbied for and raised awareness of gender issues affecting both men and women.

38 people have thanked this post
Woodward Registered User

Piste said:
I would completely support a men's right's movement. I'd think it sad that it would have to be seperate from the Irish Feminist Network or any women's right movement. It'd be nice to have an all-encompassing Gender Egalitarianism movement that discussed, lobbied for and raised awareness of gender issues affecting both men and women.

Ideally that would be the case but the gender feminists are too deeply engrained in the whole feminist movement to allow that to happen. Their obsession with patriarchy and post modernist thinking means the are by and large opposed to the mens rights movement and do not cooperate, at least in my experience

3 people have thanked this post
Piliger Registered User

Piste said:

Sadly that is a pipe dream. Most of the agenda of IFN and other similar organisations is to marginalise and demonise men and our rights.

4 people have thanked this post

I know it is a pretty big movement on youtube and reddit but a lot of those activists are from the US where the problem is much, much worse.

Hmmm some would say America is rather patriarchal?

Piste Registered User

Woodward said:
Ideally that would be the case but the gender feminists are too deeply engrained in the whole feminist movement to allow that to happen. Their obsession with patriarchy and post modernist thinking means the are by and large opposed to the mens rights movement and do not cooperate, at least in my experience

To be honest I haven't found a lot of feminists to be against men's rights per se, just ignorant of the areas in which men are at a disadvantage compared to women. I'd imagine were it more well known how men are disadvantaged when it comes to family law then there would be more women on their side. Of course there will be those who see male disadvantage as the price men have to pay for male privilege and there will always be a "you made your bed so lie in it" mentality.

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!