noddyflavin Registered User

How relevant are bees in worldwide plant/crop pollination, if they become extinct are we looking at a serious knock on effect of plant failure, thus causing the collapse of a multitude of species, would we be looking at serious food shortages?...

Yes

This should probably go in the biology section

It doesn't bovar me, it won't affect me, i'll still be able to buy an iPad 10 or super-plasma tv.

1 person has thanked this post
golden lane Registered User

superluck said:
It doesn't bovar me, it won't affect me, i'll still be able to buy an iPad 10 or super-plasma tv.

and you wont get stung.....

2 people have thanked this post

what do bees do anyway except sting people all day? they're good for nothing.
so are other animals on the planet, taking up space and getting in the way of industrial progress, all these tree luggers getting in the way of mans innovation.

Look what man can create with technology, shurely we can just create bees in a laboratory if we need them ....nature only thinks it's boss.

we could always genetically engineer some bees without their stinging feature.

lookitsme Registered User

superluck said:

bee's pollinate 30% of the worlds crops so without them crop prices would increase and then increase food prices. If you pay more for your food odds are you would have less money in your pocket for your ipad or super dooper plasma tv

andy1249 Registered User

Artificial pollination is childsplay , it has been and is being done in glasshouses all over the world for your tomatoes and anything else that comes from under glass. This has been the case for decades now if not centuries.

Bees are already extinct in some areas of Japan , and the locals simply use sticks and cotton wool to transfer pollen from plant to plant for their crops , a little bit of extra manual labour , and guess what , no one is starving !

Most of the areas with no bees in Japan are due to the introduction of the western honey bee , who have not developed the defense mechanism against the very aggressive and large local wasps , who wipe out hives in a matter of hours.
The local bee had developed a defense whereby they all land on and smother the wasp , the wasp body temperature rises , and it dies. The foreign bees dont do that , so they got wiped out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EZtXNIT5QQ

2 people have thanked this post

Interesting case for the eradication of hornets since they probably do nothing except kill honey bees.

other insects i'd like to see extinct: blue bottle fly, cockroaches and woodlouse

all of these insects don't do anything productive anyway so why not just get rid of them for good.

i think an eradication program is in order.

3 people have thanked this post

Monsanto will rule us all.

RoboClam Registered User

Someone think of a conspiracy theory relating to this or I will have to move it!

Suggestion: (carrying on from what charlemont said) If the bees become extinct (naturally or otherwise), then maybe Mosanto's genetic use restriction technology may come into play.

superluck said:
Interesting case for the eradication of hornets since they probably do nothing except kill honey bees.

other insects i'd like to see extinct: blue bottle fly, cockroaches and woodlouse

all of these insects don't do anything productive anyway so why not just get rid of them for good.

i think an eradication program is in order.

Grasshopper. You have so much to learn about nature and trolling.

"If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live." Robert Einstein.

That's a pretty big if.
Nature is nothing if not remarkably persistent.

And if it fails, we are remarkably inventive.

noddyflavin Registered User

i got kicked outta Nature already!...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!