Such a great body of work. Storm In Heaven is a classic, A Northern Soul is a classic, and Urban Hymns is just beautiful.

Forth has some good tracks but it's not an album of theirs I go back to very often.

I might get slaughtered for this but I really dig Ashcroft's solo work although it falls short of the greatness of the Verve.

Verve songs such as 'Country Song' 'Weeping Willow' 'Come On' 'History' 'On Your Own' are just sublime

I could go on for hours!

Any Verve heads on this site??

Can'tseeme Registered User

Yep, big fan. A Northern Soul is an absolute classic. Urban Hymns great aswell.

His solo stuff can be hit and miss. But when it's good it's very good. I enjoyed his last album with the The United Nations of Sound.

Palytoxin Registered User

I haven't listened to all of their stuff, but I do like forth, especially

Can'tseeme Registered User

Hannibal Registered User

I thought Forth was an excellent album, much more of a Verve sounding album than Urban Hymns which was practically an Ashcroft solo album until he bottled it and patched things up with McCabe.

Ashcroft's last album with the United Nations was pretty impressive to me but got bad reviews and with it being label "RPA & The United Nations of Sound" a lot of people would not have known it was him. Some good songs on it like America, Captain Rock, Third Eye, Are You Ready and This Thing Called Life

The Black Ships have both McCabe and Simon Jones and they're alright, not one bit commercial but a lot of Verve sounds in there

Suas11 Registered User

I wouldn't be a massive fan but I do like them Urban Hymns is a great album.

(Invalid youtube)

Martin_ie2012 Registered User

yeah great band, Forth is a great album, Love is noise is one of the greatest comeback songs from any band, hard to pick a favourite album. They made my weekend in oxegen 2008 glad to have got to see them as I think that really was their last tour together. Hope there will be more solo stuff from Ashcroft soon.

bleach94 Registered User

Absolutely top band, gutted I never got a chance to see them, though I guess I could say that for most of the bands I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnWRjoP9mQ

Martin_ie2012 Registered User

bleach94 said:
Absolutely top band, gutted I never got a chance to see them, though I guess I could say that for most of the bands I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnWRjoP9mQ

Love this clip, when he is slagging off Michael Eavis and his arrogance. Unlike other front men he backs up his attitude with great songs so he's not annoying.

To be honest I havnt really heard much of their stuff, but since looking at this thread i've checked them out and they seem pretty good.

One of the best B-sides ever!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!