ratticus Registered User
#1

Any advice on keeping cats out of back gardens? I have just had a new turf lawn laid down and I am finding cat puke and cat **** almost every day.

Does anyone have any better suggestions to keep cats away from the grass so my son can play without fear ov being cover in cat poo?

johndoe99 Registered User
#2

as a cat owner myself, its near impossible to keep a cat out of your garden. Theres loads of remedies that can be bought, in reality they don't work. You can try soaking a cat with a childs water gun, add some orange juice or perfume to the water as they hate the smell. In the end they'll always find a way back in.

ratticus Registered User
#3

Don't cat owners have some level of responsibility for their pets behaviour?

astrofluff Registered User
#4

cats will go wherever they like. The harder you make it for them to get into your garden, the less often they'll go in there. A neighbour of mine has used fence spikes and mesh wire up-stand to prevent the cats from getting into her garden - appears to be working...

LEIN Category Moderator
#5

The kind folk here should be of better help.

Moved from Wicklow.

#6

ratticus said:
Don't cat owners have some level of responsibility for their pets behaviour?

None!

Alun Registered User
#7

DD9090 said:
The kind folk here should be of better help.

Moved from Wicklow.

Oh great, just what this forum needs, yet another cat thread It's time they were banned here just like fog-lights threads in the Motors forum as they just keep going around in circles.

3 people have thanked this post
#8

Alun said:

Oh great, just what this forum needs, yet another cat thread It's time they were banned here just like fog-lights threads in the Motors forum as they just keep going around in circles.

but still people dont accept them as a problem

Alun Registered User
#9

kildare.17hmr said:
but still people dont accept them as a problem

... and I'm one of them, but that's my opinion.

Anyway, whatever your opinion one way or the other, there's very little point in regurgitating the same old arguments once or twice a week, and running round in circles, it's a waste of electrons.

2 people have thanked this post
#10

Agreed

A bit of advice for the op without gettin into the same arguments would be grand tho.

Op look into cat spikes for the top of your wall

Sigma Force Registered User
#11

If your garden is walled in there is a way of putting up brackets and putting a bit of netting over them, I can't explain it properly but it can help they are like angled so it's difficult for cats to get over.

Like this http://www.catnets.com.au/fence-brackets.html

Or this there's lots of pics to give you ideas, there's bound to be a way that will make it not too much of an eyesore and better having something like this thank poop and puke all over the garden.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=cat%20fencing%20angled%20brackets&biw=1280&bih=681&sei=XKzPT7iTBMy3hAe_ouH6Cw

1 person has thanked this post
#12

this guy has some good advice...not sure how practical it is however.

1 person has thanked this post
Shenshen Moderator
#13

ratticus said:
Any advice on keeping cats out of back gardens? I have just had a new turf lawn laid down and I am finding cat puke and cat **** almost every day.

Does anyone have any better suggestions to keep cats away from the grass so my son can play without fear ov being cover in cat poo?


I'm not sure this is going to work, but it would be cheap to try.

I've noticed recently that all my cats are seriously freaked out by the sound of kitchen foil. To the point of abandoning their food bowls and running out of the room.

As I said, I'm not sure if it would work, but you could trytrying some srtrips of kitchen foil to tree branches or the like, make sure they can flutter a bit. It might be enough to spook them and to keep them away.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!