People are always keen to tell you their top 5 "in no particular order" or mumble and mention about three films when you ask them straight out what their favourite film is. It's a very difficult thing to do, but I think everyone should be able to tell you what their favourite film is at any given moment. Maybe it changes from day to day or minute to minute, but you should have an answer ready when somebody jumps out of a train and throws the question at you.

I'll answer. My favourite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The reasons are: it encompasses the birth of humanity (the "apes" look stupid but the moment when they discover tool use is perhaps my favourite in all cinema) and goes all the way to the next stage in intellectual and existential development. It is beautifully shot and the classical soundtrack (the inclusion of Johann Strauss' Waltz on the beautiful Blue Danube is genius). It deals with questions of greater depth than anything else I have ever seen (for example, human versus computer intellect, morality versus pragmatism, known versus unknown and about a million more). It also ends with one of the most ambigious and bewildering finales in all of cinema, which allows a subjective interpretation and endless speculation, which lends a great deal of mystery to the whole affair.

I'll end my love-in there. So who can pin their cinematic taste down to one single film in an unambiguous manner? Posts include references to more than one film will be booed and shunned!

2 people have thanked this post
Diamond_Ninja Registered User

12 Angry Men (1957) with Henry Fonda. I don't have any particular reasoning, I just adore it!

14 people have thanked this post
IRL_Sinister Registered User

Snatch.

I've loved this movie since the day I first watched it. Don't really have any particular reasons it's just overall wonderful!

8 people have thanked this post
popzmaster Registered User

Commando

Somewhere, somehow, someone's gonna pay!

4 people have thanked this post
Fire1985 Registered User

Training Day or 300.

But I could name many films that are not far off them

Hesh's Umpire Registered User

Casablanca. I just adore it.

2 people have thanked this post

Fire1985 said:
Training Day or 300.

But I could name many films that are not far off them

Ahhhhh!!! Two films mentioned!!!!

Go with Training Day if people ask you. As much as I enjoyed 300, Gerard Butler is in it....

MidlandsM Banned

Heat .............2 of my fav actors.....and michael mann as director

Borderfox Moderator

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. a great mix of everything I like in a film.

16 people have thanked this post

American History X

frag420 Registered User

The Goonies!!

no wait........................Scrooged!!

3 people have thanked this post
Mycroft H Registered User

Diamond_Ninja said:
12 Angry Men (1957) with Henry Fonda. I don't have any particular reasoning, I just adore it!

Yes, I was only thinking of that film last night. Brilliantly simple but executed so so well.

For me it's a hard one. I could change my mind next week. If I had to pick one, it would be No country for old men. It was Lee-Jones's character that made it for me, a proud sheriff that could do nothing to contain the evil of the world no matter how hard he tried. His closing is brilliant as is his opening

13 people have thanked this post
TheDoc Registered User

Hard to pick one

But I'd probably have to lock myself in a room for about 10 years and watch

The Terminator
Aliens

Back to back and over and over

Then I can choose...

1 person has thanked this post

BX 19 said:
Yes, I was only thinking of that film last night. Brilliantly simple but executed so so well.

For me it's a hard one. I could change my mind next week. If I had to pick one, it would be No country for old men. It was Lee-Jones's character that made it for me, a proud sheriff that could do nothing to contain the evil of the world no matter how hard he tried. His closing is brilliant as is his opening

Nice choice. It is the most unreasonably criticised film of the last decade, to the point that I often use it as a screening for potential friends. If they don't get No Country, I don't get them.

1 person has thanked this post
Sleepy Registered User

Cinema Paradiso.

It's been in my Top 5 since the first time I ever saw it. Beautiful movie. Tomorrow my answer would probably be different but it always rotates between the same 6/7 movies.

10 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!