Praetorian Registered User
#1

I'm thinking of trading in my 320d for a 2009 530d m-sport. Tax is about the same. What am I realistically going to notice fuel consumption wise?

Worthwhile upgrade? Or am I mad getting old style 5 series?

Should I wait a year and try and find the newer model.

The Tyre Dude Registered User
#2

If it was me I would wait for the new 5, such a fine car and the interior is so much better than the E60.

captainspeed Registered User
#3

There is nothing wrong at all with the E60 if you don't mind the looks. It's funny how when that car came out it was considered to be absolutely hideous, yet now it looks extremely modern - it really was one of Bangle's best designs to be honest.

Also an 09 being one of the very last models will have all the bugs ironed out, so it should be very reliable too.

1 person has thanked this post
The Tyre Dude Registered User
#4

The E60 is a fantastic design and was quite visionary. But the interior design was always a let down after the E39. Better from 2008 with the new door cards but IMO the interior of the current 5 is BMW's best ever.

Idbatterim Registered User
#5

whats your budget op? also why the 330d is it for the 6 cylinder? if its just more hp and torque you are after, you could get current car remapped...

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/models.asp?upid=1

cadaliac Registered User
#6

Idbatterim said:
whats your budget op? also why the 330d is it for the 6 cylinder? if its just more hp and torque you are after, you could get current car remapped...

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/models.asp?upid=1


5 Series I believe, not another 3.

Praetorian Registered User
#7

Thanks for the replies. My budget I suppose is really 20K + getting 10k trade in on my old 3er.

One of my colleagues has the newer 520d and it is nice. But I do find 520's in general a little slow.

I actually drive fairly conseratively most of the time, on my 60km round trip weekday commute. But I like power to be available. (I have owned fast car's like Wrx when I was younger).

1/ I'm concerned that the 530d would guzzle compared to my older 320d?
2 / I'm concerned I won't enjoy auto as much as manual (longer term). Maybe I'll love it?
3/ I'm concerned the value is going to drop like a stone? worth 30 k now, what about in 3 years when I go to change? (320d 3 years ago cost me €17k, (ni import) and is worth about €10k now. Totally acceptable depreciation in my books.
4/ I'm concerned that I could be paying way over the odds in Ireland. Maybe I should import from UK like last time. The reason I didn't consider it, is this time I have to trade in.

Any thoughts?

Anan1 Registered User
#8

Praetorian said:
1/ I'm concerned that the 530d would guzzle compared to my older 320d?
I'm afraid I can't help on this one, but unless you're doing mega miles I wouldn't think there'd be that much in it.

Praetorian said:
2 / I'm concerned I won't enjoy auto as much as manual (longer term). Maybe I'll love it?
You'll prefer it. The only valid reason for having manual in a diesel BMW is abject poverty.

Praetorian said:
3/ I'm concerned the value is going to drop like a stone? worth 30 k now, what about in 3 years when I go to change? (320d 3 years ago cost me €17k, (ni import) and is worth about €10k now. Totally acceptable depreciation in my books.
Be careful with these figures. If you're getting €10k on a trade-in against a €30k car then your old car is worth a lot less than €10k and the new car is worth less than €30k. Taking the figures at face value flatters your old car at the expense of the new one.

Praetorian said:
4/ I'm concerned that I could be paying way over the odds in Ireland. Maybe I should import from UK like last time. The reason I didn't consider it, is this time I have to trade in.

Any thoughts?
Best thing is to compare straight deal prices for both options, consider what you could comfortably get for the 320 privately, and do your sums.

3 people have thanked this post
captainspeed Registered User
#9

Another reason to get a 530d is because it has six instead of four cylinders!

veetwin Registered User
#10

captainspeed said:
There is nothing wrong at all with the E60 if you don't mind the looks. It's funny how when that car came out it was considered to be absolutely hideous, yet now it looks extremely modern - it really was one of Bangle's best designs to be honest.

Also an 09 being one of the very last models will have all the bugs ironed out, so it should be very reliable too.


Totally agree. The E60 530d is (still) one of the best cars you can buy imho. It really is a joy to drive. Most 2009 ones should be very well equipped. My tip would be to buy the touring..far cooler and nicer (and rarer) imho than the saloon and should hold its value well. I'm biased, I have a 520d touring but would love the 530.

Above all else do not buy a manual one!

Ninap Registered User
#11

If you avoid black leather (or cloth!), and go for wood trim, the interior of the E60 looks much less drab.

captainspeed Registered User
#12

Ninap said:
If you avoid black leather (or cloth!), and go for wood trim, the interior of the E60 looks much less drab.


I think the black leather looks really classy on them.

Cloth must be avoided at all costs - I simply wouldn't touch any 5 series without leather.

Then again, a 530d should have a high spec, real leather, decent sized wheels, satnav, dual zone climate control (they only have single zone as standard) and an automatic gearbox are what you'd expect as a bare minimum.

The OP should definitely not buy a manual - although the auto is in a higher tax band nobody will want a manual second hand and the general consensus is that automatics and diesels work extremely well together, autos are much better at disguising the narrow power band of a diesel to be honest.

unkel Category Moderator
#13

I'd pay the extra for the new model. In 3 years time the F10 is still only a bit after mid-life (with no replacement round the corner) while the E60 will be very much "the old model" and values will have dropped

Tax on the new model is lower (and it uses less fuel), power is higher. More refinement and comfort too. In short, bigger and better

Idbatterim Registered User
#14

might be worth checking out the below link Op. a remapped 520d would be nearly as quick as a non remapped 530d I reckon...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2557772

captainspeed Registered User
#15

Idbatterim said:
might be worth checking out the below link Op. a remapped 520d would be nearly as quick as a non remapped 530d I reckon...


Yes, but it won't have six cylinders, will it?

Also saying that a remapped 520d is as good as a 530d is kind of a silly argument, not least because a 520d can be mapped to about 210 bhp, which is some way off the 235 bhp an LCI E60 530d has, but also because of the fact that a remapped 530d will have the same power as a 535d. A remapped 535d will get around 370 bhp, almost as much as the recently launched M550d!

A six cylinder will be quieter and they sound so much nicer than a four cylinder. Also, a six cylinder will be smoother as well.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!