reillypadraig Registered User

hey guys, iv been looking at both above named cars. i used to own an audi a6 and loved it but have since sold it on and bought a 2006 peugeot 407, and hate the bloody thing, had few engine problems and other suspension issues such as swivel joints and others and just want rid of it. heater box went(which from what i hear is a common issue)has been since fixed so its getting gate.
i want to get back into a big car, always had bigish cars. love the comfort.

im 24 and not a big power maniac, so i love these cars for their comfortable cruising ability.
i understand the costs involved with these beasts, like the a8 has air suspension problems as well as a big issue with electrics, and not over sure about the beemer.

would only get a diesel in either, dont mind the tax and had a car before that was even thirstyer than these so i dont mind that end of it either. but i mainly use back roads, nearly never on motorways.....so wondering what there like on roughish roads. fixing suspension issues or mechanical probs wont be a problem as i do all work and servicing myself.

also have never driven an automatic, so just wondering what there like to live with as an everyday car.

looking at a 2003 730d and a 2004 a8

thanks for looking!!!!! and any advice would be much appreciated

enviro Registered User

The BMW for me, head over to www.BMW-Driver.net it is an Irish forum and start a new thread there as well, I'm sure some of the existing owners of 7's on the site would be happy to fill you in on the advantages and disadvantages of ownership as well as what to look out for when you are considering buying one.

As soon as I seen rough roads in your op, I thought X5.

Good luck with the hunt.

pcardin Registered User

enviro said:
As soon as I seen rough roads in your op, I thought X5.

As soon as I seen back roads in op, I thought no motor tax will be needed

10 people have thanked this post
Matt Simis Registered User

My lowered 1998 S8 is great on back roads (it is quattro afterall). A newer (2003+) model A8 can be got with Air Suspension which is even better as you can lift it to go over bad patches (my VW Phaeton was great in this manner too).
The BMW is going to be a more fun car to drive, though the (2002+) E65 is horrendous looking compared to the E38 that came before it. Any A/S8 from original D2 like my chassis to D4 looks so much better.

I think the BMW is cheaper to buy used in Ireland in this class than the big Audi's, which is unusual for BMW vs Audi.

1 person has thanked this post
Compton Registered User

I'd go for the A8, although of that vintage you will be getting problems with both cars.

ShadowHearth Registered User

Weren't early e65 plagued with huge problems? I would just better go for e38 and save a lot of money op. that money you save on car can be put in to lovely 4.4 V8 tax.

BMW for me. I think the E65 looks the mutts nuts.

ShadowHearth said:
Weren't early e65 plagued with huge problems? I would just better go for e38 and save a lot of money op. that money you save on car can be put in to lovely 4.4 V8 tax.

Dont forget that the 3.0 diesel models are already paying the same 4.4 V8 motortax! If he is paying that anyhow, unless he really does the miles there is no point in going for the entry spec engines.

Padraig Mor Registered User

Matt Simis said:
Dont forget that the 3.0 diesel models are already paying the same 4.4 V8 motortax! If he is paying that anyhow, unless he really does the miles there is no point in going for the entry spec engines.

They're on the <3000 cc rate no? €1390 vs €1683?

Padraig Mor said:
They're on the <3000 cc rate no? €1390 vs €1683?

Yeah perhaps, BMW tend to flip flop on the exact CC per model and year. But still such a small difference.... V8!

166man Registered User

Matt Simis said:
Yeah perhaps, BMW tend to flip flop on the exact CC per model and year. But still such a small difference.... V8!

Think the BMW is a 2.9 and qualifies for the lower tax rate. I think....

Idbatterim Registered User

Model Model Year Engine Power E65

730d 2002–2004 M57TUD30 I6 214 bhp (160 kW; 217 PS) ✓
730d 2005–2008 M57TU2D30 I6 227 bhp (169 kW; 230 PS) ✓

according to dms after remap...

std hp dms hp std tq dms tq

E65 730d 218 260 369 413
E65 730d 231 273 383 435

have you considered the S class OP?

just checked them out there,

saw the below on carzone...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/SPORT-32/5613310524877310/advert?channel=CARS

the 3.2 Litre Diesel only puts out 197bhp though, that hp in an auto that heavy would be positively pedestrian, plus you are fleeced on the tax... 730d on paper would be the more sensible buy...

mickdw Registered User

Id get an 03 onwards A8. Still very fresh looking. Miles ahead of early E65 bmw on looks and even though the A8 would be far from trouble free, Id bet it might give less headaches than an early 730d

4 people have thanked this post
Eric Cartman Registered User

if your going for the A8 has to be quattro

but Id choose the bmw

dahamsta Banned

Early E65s are best avoided. Another recommendation for the A8 here, or an earlier or later 7.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!