Lyca mobile (if it's genuine) have set up a twitter feed and are starting to follow lots of Irish "media" organisations possibly in prep for a luanch:
Anyone know much about them apart from their site:
Yep they're definitely coming. They've a site which isn't active yet:
and they tweeted this earlier:
Was involved with some testing with them, all seems to be running smoothly, I'd say next weekend.
Anyone else sick of the amount of MVNO's popping up? It doesn't really effect (affect?!) me because I have so many minutes that I don't care, but if I was to switch to 48 or whoever, it would cost other people to ring me.
Choice is never a bad thing. I went with some MVNO when I was in the UK - Lenovo or something - but had 2p a minute calls back home and free internet for a week - I was there for 3 days - so it suited me fine. The other networks were much more expensive. Realistically, they're not going to hurt the big 4 that much, because they offer a fairly even service across all areas, where the MVNOs tend to focus on one aspect (An Post have cheaper rates but crap roaming and internet, 48 are unlimited but limited to age and it seems an awkward top up system etc, Tesco are a bit of an exception but unlikely to overtake 3 any time soon)
I'd much rather a new network come in altogether that will improve coverage a little bit more.
We need masts. Ugly as they are we need more of the things.
Cookie - Thanks for posting an update on this.
You can guarantee that Lyca will offer free Lyca to Lyca calls including to Lyca customers in other EU countries.
What network are Lyca on? O2?
Yep , O2,, same crowd from Tesco looking after the technology end of things.
Their website is now live here:
I'm reading up on their packages.
Their website is all over the place. From what I can gather, this seems to be what they are offering ...
1 Month top up bundles:
- €5 top up: €5 regular credit, €5 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
- €10 top up: €10 regular credit, €10 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
- €20 top up: €20 regular credit, €20 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
- €30 top up: €30 regular credit, €30 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
- €50 top up: €50 regular credit, €50 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
- Bonus credit expires after 30 days.
New customer reward:
Outside above bundles:
- Domestic calls: 19 cent per minute to mobiles and 3 cent per minute to landlines.
- Domestic texts: 9 cent per text.
- Mobile data: 19 cent per MB.
- Tethering data: No tethering packages offered.
- International texts: 9 cent per text.
- Webtexts: Zero.
- International calls: 1 cent per minute to landlines in over 50 countries. Rates include UK mobiles: 9 cent per minute, USA: 1 cent per minute and Australian mobiles: 12 cent per minute.
- Roaming: Rates include free incoming calls while roaming in the UK.
Other provider information:
- Network: O2.
did someone just say 3GB of data for a fiver ? Me likey - even if it's capped speed wise like Tesco
I cannot see getting 3GB of Data for €5. Also their website is all over the place.
As it says above offer valid till 30.06.12
Is that just a start up offer or something to entice new members.
The T&C's say:
You will need to top-up your Lycamobile SIM at least once
The top up page says:
top-up from 5 EUR
Hence, at face value, you get 3 GB data when you top up by 5 EUR.
However, their website is as clear as mud. Maybe there is a 20 EUR minimum for 3 GB that is not clearly stated on their website?
Can anyone find it?
From reading it seems you get the 3GB for a fiver. Bit strange the allowance doesn't increase when you top up by more though.
I've applied for the SIM so all will be revealed.
I'm using 3 for data at the moment and they will be hard to beat.
i know it says not tethering available, but can you?