tacofries Registered User

Im pretty sure there's not but is there any online database that you can go onto, find your house and attach your name to it so that when you ring emergency services you can say the general area or location of your house and then your name and then they can find your house through the database. It would be awful hard explaining were I live in an er situation.!

GPS mainly..

The Emergency Services can lock onto a Mobile phone..

other then that no their is no DATABASE that they can search your name.

i had a cop flying up and down the road once looking for a house..

tacofries Registered User

Good to know about the phone tracking. I would find it awful hard explaining to them where I live and even with perfect directions they'd still probably get it wrong!!!!

Thanks Cork

Put big house numbers on your house and have the council sign post your street

5 people have thanked this post
timmywex Registered User

Cork24 said:
GPS mainly..

The Emergency Services can lock onto a Mobile phone..

Maybe in America/CSI yeh*....

Its local knowledge using landmarks etc & good old fashioned maps. Garda cars/ambulances/fire vehicles don't carry gps by the most part

*im aware this can be done, but not for emergency calls, phone providers have to be contacted etc

4 people have thanked this post
deadwood Registered User

Since the mid 1990's, fancy joined up writing and hearing in at least one ear (known in e.s. parlance as the "phone ear") is a requirement for most e.s.jobs. Only those who are proficient in both, simultaneously, are permitted to talk to the public for emergency matters. Some people watch a little too much 24.

1 person has thanked this post

timmywex said:
Maybe in America/CSI yeh*....

Its local knowledge using landmarks etc & good old fashioned maps. Garda cars/ambulances/fire vehicles don't carry gps by the most part

*im aware this can be done, but not for emergency calls, phone providers have to be contacted etc

Ambulances do carry GPS,, brother is an EMT,
the friend is a Garda i brought a nice GPS off him before

When I worked as an Eircom 999 operator we could look up a phone number and in the case of landlines get an address from that.

What was really shocking were the number of calls from Emergency Companies by that I mean companies that organise a response to panic alarms , etc. They would give an address in some townland but had nil direction to offer - seems they were happy to take the money they were being paid but couldn't be bothered getting direction to their customers homes.
Unprofessional muppets for the most part.

4 people have thanked this post

suppose the electoral register would possibly be of some assistance.

but the reality is, local knowledge and/or directions.

theres no general use database in existance.

as said, ambulance and firebrigades usually have gps. with the guards, you just have to hope one of us has an iphone with google maps

tacofries said:
Im pretty sure there's not but is there any online database that you can go onto, find your house and attach your name to it so that when you ring emergency services you can say the general area or location of your house and then your name and then they can find your house through the database. It would be awful hard explaining were I live in an er situation.!

I presume that you have an address?? That's what you use

Assuming that you are in a rural area...

Just like having an evacuation plan for your house, now would be a good time to find the road number that you live - it will be an N, R or L

Have a good concise direction to give the emergency from a local landmark. keep it simply - Irish people are notorious for giving out complex directions.

Hightower21 Registered User

Cork24 said:
Ambulances do carry GPS,, brother is an EMT,
the friend is a Garda i brought a nice GPS off him before

eh.... no they dont.
Mind you I have a smart phone. that sometimes helps. some of my paramedic friends carry there own gps. and half the time the address wont work on them.

2 people have thanked this post
999nobody Registered User

audidiesel said:
suppose the electoral register would possibly be of some assistance.

but the reality is, local knowledge and/or directions.

theres no general use database in existance.

as said, ambulance and firebrigades usually have gps. with the guards, you just have to hope one of us has an iphone with google maps

No they don't, some off us bring our own sat nav to work with us or the trusty iphone.
Normally we're looking for the red bungalow after the left hand bend just before the hill

Invest in a massive spotlight OP

Not so good on a clear night but that's rare enough...

2 people have thanked this post
Hightower21 Registered User

or the 4th bunglow on the left after the pump,
or the house not facing the road!

JuliusCaesar Moderator

Zambia said:
Put big house numbers on your house and have the council sign post your street

I have been looking for ages for numbers in silouette which I can paste to the inside of the porch glass, so that they can be easily seen from the outside, especially visible at night when I have the hall light on. Can't find any, except ones which stick to the outside of the glass and thus are exposed to all the dirt.
I'm not an EM person, I seem to have to go - often enough- to people's houses for parties and end up driving up and down roads trying to see house numbers from the car.

This kind of thing but not so fancy, in case anyone can point me to the right retailler!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!