CSF said:
Statistics aren't everything. His pace is a huge asset.

But it doesn't set him apart.

Lennon > Walcott imo

CSF Registered User

gosplan said:
But it doesn't set him apart.

Together with other aspects of his game, it does. He is easily good enough to be in the squad considering the quality of wingers available to England at present.

1 person has thanked this post
CSF Registered User

nuxxx said:
Lennon > Walcott imo

Easily. Walcott is pretty poor.

redzerdrog Registered User

If I was picking i'd bring johnson and richards, I think walker is overhyped and the other two can attack just as well as him but also defend better. Walkers pace saves him a lot when his positioning is rubbish.

Saying that Johnson was rumoured to have fallen out with Hodgson when at Liverpool so wouldnt be suprised to see him not selected.

steelcityblues Registered User

Paul Robinson has been very good for Blackburn this season, despite having way too many average players around him. He would have been a shoo in if he didn't retire - he must regret it privately.

kitakyushu Registered User

Out of interest did Capello have a definite first choice XI during his time with England (eg the way the Ireland team is pretty much picks itself)?

I realise because of the new manager there's speculation about which players will make the squad but it seemed to me that there was always many many players in contention for England call-ups at any given time rather than a settled 23 or so.

MD1990 Registered User

Walker will be in team nevermind the squad
Richards isnt first choice for city anymore

homerjay2005 Registered User

when you the england squad on paper, you realise how limited it is.

as a united fan, if it comes down to chris smalling v phil jones, i would expect smalling to be picked, as he is a far superior defender and overall a much better footballer.

rio ferdinand will be in the squad if fit and him and terry will start their first game. a bit surprised to see virtually nobody pick carrick who has been excellent for united this year,

LostBoy101 Registered User

homerjay2005 said:

as a united fan, if it comes down to chris smalling v phil jones, i would expect smalling to be picked, as he is a far superior defender and overall a much better footballer.

rio ferdinand will be in the squad if fit and him and terry will start their first game. a bit surprised to see virtually nobody pick carrick who has been excellent for united this year,

Aye Carrick deserves to be pick after a great season.

Carrick is missing the key attribute for international games - reaction under pressure. England will come under lots of pressure and pressing, and Carrick is unsuited to that. Pity as much of the rest of his game is good.

homerjay2005 said:

He won't make it either way as Parker is perceived as a guaranteed starter and will probably get the captaincy which is a poor decision imo.

Also, I'd play Barry over Carrick any day and as he played throughout qualification and as his form has been very good for City recently. If Capello was in charge no way Rio would make it. It now seems the only way that Rio won't start is if he chooses not to himself! Though I'd have Lescott in. Thought he was poor last year has improved in leaps and bounds this season.

MD1990 said:
Walker will be in team nevermind the squad
Richards isnt first choice for city anymore

It's cos he was injured and Zabaleta did so well in his absence they couldn't drop him when Richards returned (United last week). Richards is still City's first choice right back strictly speaking

Horsefumbler Registered User

Heskey and michael owen before they retire. Before it's too late.

Xavi6 Registered User

CantGetNoSleep said:

Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, P Jones

Mikeyt086 said:

Ashley Cole
Leighton Baines
Micah Richards
Chris Smalling (cover RB and CB)
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Gary Cahill
Kyle Walker

THFC said:
Def: G Johnson, M Richards, A Cole, L Baines, J Terry, R Ferdinand, G, Cahill, K Walker

All leaving out the best performing English centre half this season, for shame.

At least someone's on the ball.

cgpg5 said:
Can't see how people are leaving out Lescott, should be in the team by rights in my view

^^^ Correct

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!