I do. If it's just been opened or is still near the top i will dip chips or goujons right in there. It rules. Try it and get back to me.

1 person has thanked this post
Hande hoche! Registered User

Seems like a good idea if you're the only one eating the mustard and the top of the jar is wide enough.

Beruthiel omnipotent and omniscient

That's a big no no.
It is very unhygienic to dip food into a jar like that.
You could find yourself coming back to use the mustard a week later only to find your very own set of cultures growing on the top.

On the up side of course, you could find yourself becoming famous for discovering a new life form.

4 people have thanked this post

I have the legs from under you if I caught you doing that with my mustard.

4 people have thanked this post
uch Registered User

Lionel Messy said:
I do. If it's just been opened or is still near the top i will dip chips or goujons right in there. It rules. Try it and get back to me.

Durty Fecker

I love rolling up a bit of delicious ham and dipping it into the pot of mustard.

Mustard, mustard, mustard, isn't it great stuff?

Chuck Stone said:
I love rolling up a bit of delicious ham and dipping it into the pot of mustard.

Hope you have your own personal mustard pot, because that's nasty.

3 people have thanked this post
rubadub Registered User

I have wiped it clean with food when it was going to be thrown out. I would never dip in new, especially stuff like ham. You are cross contaminating with food with a short shelf life. If you go sticking this ham contaminated mustard in a normal press then its even worse.

Reminds me of a mate of mine who worked in a deli in a supermarket, I asked him to get me a bag of some southern fried chicken floury spice mix. I had been using it and weeks later I was looking in the bag and pulled out some hard chicken skin. They had been dipping the raw chicken right in this big bag of flour/spices kept at room temperature. Sickening.

Bad idea use a spoon

uch Registered User

Beruthiel said:
That's a big no no.
It is very unhygienic to dip food into a jar like that.
You could find yourself coming back to use the mustard a week later only to find your very own set of cultures growing on the top.

On the up side of course, you could find yourself becoming famous for discovering a new life form.

I thought you said "your own set of Culchies"

Beruthiel omnipotent and omniscient

Careful now.
I'm one of those 'culchies' of which you speak.

I don't do it now.

jigital Registered User

No. If you dip something into a jar of food, be it mustard, mayonnaise or honey, you are generally reducing the shelf life of it to that of whatever you dipped in it.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!