MugMugs Hosted Moderator

MugMugs said:
Perhaps not for that but if the OP has a heavy right foot and gets pulled and that on top of the ticket.... It won't look very good, would it?

How would the PSNI even be aware of a civil matter?

So you don't pay the fine, you're not brought to court?

Nope.

It is all civil. You don't pay eventually a bailiff (within NI only) will come looking for the money. No courts involved at all.

Anan1 Registered User

Our man in Havana said:
All civil!!

Hence decriminalised!
Does that (forgive my ignorance of the finer points of the law!) mean that not paying an NI council parking ticket is not breaking the law?

Nope. The act of not paying is not an offence.

2 people have thanked this post

To get even more technical they are all civil contraventions not offences.

supersean1999 Registered User

i got one from new zealand, it was a rented car, it arrived a good month later, haha as if i was going to pay it, the clowns

Anan1 Registered User

supersean1999 said:
i got one from new zealand, it was a rented car, it arrived a good month later, haha as if i was going to pay it, the clowns
Have a read through the t&cs of your rental agreement - I take it you paid by CC?

fasttalkerchat Registered User

Anan1 said:
Does that (forgive my ignorance of the finer points of the law!) mean that not paying an NI council parking ticket is not breaking the law?

Its the same with removing a clamp. If you can do it with no damage its a civil matter.

supersean1999 Registered User

Anan1 said:
Have a read through the t&cs of your rental agreement - I take it you paid by CC?

fat chance , its not a place i tend to travel to often

Anan1 Registered User

fasttalkerchat said:
Its the same with removing a clamp. If you can do it with no damage its a civil matter.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/si/0406.html

Referring to NI here folks. Keep on topic!

ahnowbrowncow Registered User

I got a parking fine in the north a couple of months ago. They sent a letter saying if it wasn't paid in two weeks it'd be increased to £90. I ignored it, then got a letter saying I now owe them £90. I ignored it too and now I've received a letter saying I owe them £135.

Should I keep ignoring them or just pay up? What will or could happen if I keep ignoring them? I rarely be in the north if that makes any difference.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!