i reckon 50% of the population is closet atheist

Maybe but they're still fcukin catholic

1 person has thanked this post

link_2007 said:
*drops shovel and looks forlornly at the sky*

Like a dog whistle for Catholics.

2 people have thanked this post
whatdoicare Registered User

I don't think it would be as big an annoyance if the Angelus was on maybe after the news - the amount of times I've switched on and gone "oh, the news - I want to see what's going on with that issue I've been following!" and I see that I'm just in time for the annoying "Dong" noise with the uncomfortably awkward imagery, so I switch over and get distracted and nine times out of ten I end up forgetting about the news and I have to look it up elsewhere.

It's getting to the point now where I just skip RTE just in case I'm accosted with religious nonsense before I can switch over!

2 people have thanked this post
philstar Registered User

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

why can't they have it at 5.59 and then the news at 6.00

prinz Registered User

philstar said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes. That extra minute I want my news at 6.00 not 6.01 ffs

AskJives said:
haha.

I see what RTE are thinking tho ...
Lets take Nigerians for example. Northern Nigerian is generally muslim. While the south is christian. Alot of Nigerians in Ireland... So ... if RTE want to make the angelus more multi-cultured its clear they dont wanna make it too catholic (which is what they did by removing ALOT of catholic imagery)

But with that said, its kinda stupid. Ireland is officially an catholic country. Why change to suit others?

Correction. Its officially a secular country. It just happens to have a lot of folk who title them selves catholic.

marty1985 Registered User

philstar said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It wouldn't be the angelus then, would it? But church bells are nice when you get accustomed to them. There's a village in England where the church bell tolls every 15 minutes, day and night! The locals love it, and had to fight to keep it when a newcomer to the place objected. Church bells also have traditionally served secular functions too. Here's another - use the angelus as a reminder to check the headlines on BBC news before returning to the 6.1 news (note how the news doesn't pretend to start at 6 and is therefore not being interrupted by the angelus). There's lots of things you can do in one minute, you just need to get creative. Challenge yourself, see if you can eat six cream crackers while the angelus bells ring, and let me know how you get on.

ronan45 Registered User

"stops the washing up,looks up out the kitchen window into the yonder and ponders life"

BONG...BONG...BONG...

The heavenly calling for the first toke of the day

museologist Registered User

Mal-Adjusted said:
the one where all the people are cleaning up the little park by the river, that's in a small town in Clare called Sixmilebridge. what I don't understand is how they missed the best part. where the road goes past the river, there is a relatively large float dressed up as a pub called the Duck inn, usually has a few fellas in it and all..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theyellabelly/3996482920/lightbox/

put that on tv, instant classic.

That happens to be my photo...

Cortina_MK_IV Registered User

Sweet mudder of jaysus, what happened to The Angelus? Animated... I thought it was a gecko... Are they trees? Very religious altogether.

The_Valeyard Registered User

Cortina_MK_IV said:
Sweet mudder of jaysus, what happened to The Angelus? Animated... I thought it was a gecko... Are they trees? Very religious altogether.

Thought I was on drugs or something. Angelus has gone all Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers

SEPT 23 1989 Registered User

It's total garbage now bring back the old skool angelus

LordSutch Registered User

WoollyRedHat said:
The Angelus

... a relic from a bygone era of Holy Catholic Ireland, when television was black & white, men wore trilby hats while women wore floral frocks of a Sunday at Mass. Priests & Nuns round every corner too!

They can dress up the Angelus anyway they like at Montrose, make it all funky and modern, but its still akin to that dusty old 'hop on hop off' bus from the 1950s, albeit with a new lick of paint.

IMO They should put it out to grass along with Marty Wheelan & Marion Finucane, who are also from a bygone era.

RayM Registered User ☭

The Angelus annoys the likes of Atheist Ireland. For that reason alone, I hope they never get rid of it.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!