Peanut Registered User
#1

So I was curious about trying some different drinks and had read before about a lot of beers being non-veg friendly.

However just checking Barnivore again now it seems like some of these have changed, for example, Leffe is now listed as OK, pretty sure it wasn't before

Well maybe I'm a year or two behind the curve here lol but just thought it would be useful to share any newly(ish) veg. beers/ciders, since the companies don't really shout about it too much.

#2

You could try this website: http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/index.htm

has a good list of beers, wines and spirits...

1 person has thanked this post
cozski Registered User
#3

Check out Barnivore... there's a massive list of vegan friendly drinks on it. They may have even developed an App by now... I know they were going to. It's been helping to wean me off my beloved Beamish & Guinness

1 person has thanked this post
Peanut Registered User
#4

Yeah Guinness... really, is it so difficult to change the stupid isinglass?

Their lame-a$$ excuse is "there's no suitable alternative", but...

Dublin Brewing Company were able to do it with their stout, so do all the other veg. stouts.

cozski, what do you drink now instead of those two?

rubadub Registered User
#5

Peanut said:
Leffe is now listed as OK, pretty sure it wasn't before

Leffe might be brewed under licence in the UK or something. You have to watch for this, recipes & methods change all around the world.

Also becareful of ignorant brewers. I got no reply from Jameson when I asked them if inisglass was used in the sherry which was stored in the casks which they later use. Things like this might be overlooked by a distiller, esp. a meat eating one.

Peanut Registered User
#6

rubadub said:
Leffe might be brewed under licence in the UK or something. You have to watch for this, recipes & methods change all around the world.


Yep, I have emailed them about this but haven't received a reply yet.

rubadub said:

Also becareful of ignorant brewers. I got no reply from Jameson when I asked them if inisglass was used in the sherry which was stored in the casks which they later use. Things like this might be overlooked by a distiller, esp. a meat eating one.

Yeah, in fairness it's probably very difficult to establish in some cases where the casks might not all be from the same supplier etc.

rubadub Registered User
#7

Peanut said:
Yeah, in fairness it's probably very difficult to establish in some cases where the casks might not all be from the same supplier etc.

Then they should just say its not vegan if they have doubts, just like so many products will say there might be traces of nuts etc in their food.

Peanut Registered User
#8

Got a reply from InBev



Comment : Hi, Can you tell me is Leffe sold outside of the UK also suitable for vegetarians, or just the UK version? Thanks


Thank you very much for your interest in our products. Please be advised that all of our Leffe beers are brewed in Leuven, Belgium so the quality and ingredients are the same around the world.

No animal products are used in the ingredients or as part of the brewing process for any of our varieties of Leffe, so they are suitable for vegetarians.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Peter Constantinou
Customer Services

http://www.talktoabinbev.com

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!