howtomake Registered User
#1

Nothing serious happened but meh... Firstly viz was craaap, might as well been diving with my eyes closed. I was a magnet onto my buddy. Freezing etc etc, moan moan whinge whinge on a few little other things. On our safety stop my weight belt decided it likes the company of starfish at the bottom rather than around me.

Luckily I was able to grab on to some pretty sturdy seaweed & struggled to keep from floating up. Was the longest 5 minutes of being buffeted around the place while my lovely lovely buddy went back down for it (& as I said viz was crap, luckily it fell just directly down below me and not between rocks). Had just enough wit to deflate my bcd completely but not enough to remember for the life of me, the procedure for an uncontrolled ascent, pfft, silly brain, but I certainly won't forget again. But he did come back with it, we got it around me.

Then being a bit flusterd I couldn't manage to get my SMB up (& its a new one I really don't like), again had to rely on buddy to get enough air in there.

Oh yeah then it decided to start pelting rain down while we were packing up and trying to change. Anyway I owe my buddy a couple of drinkies that's for sure.

Anyone else have any stories so I don't feel like a complete spaz?

1 person has thanked this post
longshanks Registered User
#2

Remind me what the procedure is for an uncontrolled ascent.

Peace Moderator
#3

longshanks said:
Remind me what the procedure is for an uncontrolled ascent.


Grab some seaweed... Anyway - thats not the topic.

howtomake Registered User
#4

longshanks said:
Remind me what the procedure is for an uncontrolled ascent.


Er I would except not sure if that follows under the umbrella like giving medical advice on boards. Its pretty easy to remember anyway, I just couldn't think of it at the time, feel a bit silly about it too. I'm doing the rescue diving this year though, get this safety stuff ingrained in the brain.

Catmologen Registered User
#5

longshanks said:
Remind me what the procedure is for an uncontrolled ascent.

Get a 2nd buckle for your weight-belt!

seadeuce Registered User
#6

On every dive re-adjust your weightbelt when you reach the bottom, then it won't slip.

Uncontrolled (rapid) ascent:

S-P-R-E-A-D yourself wide to increase drag and slow down as much as possible.
You must, of course, be ascending in the HORIZONTAL position for this to have any effect.

Watch your bubbles as you ascend. You may pass out some of these, but if you manage to NOT pass out the small ones then your maximum rate of ascent will be 18m/min.

Breathe out as you go!

On reaching the surface/boat it would be a good idea to suck 100% Oxygen for a while as a precaution.
No more diving for 24hrs.

Have someone monitor you so that if the worst happens the chamber will be contacted and readied for your visit.


Seadeuce

1 person has thanked this post
locum-motion Registered User
#7

Pilot one: "Remind me of the procedure for landing a jumbo jet with only three engines."
Pilot two: "Er I would except not sure if that follows under the umbrella like giving medical advice on boards."

Same logic (ie none)

howtomake said:
Er I would except not sure if that follows under the umbrella like giving medical advice on boards. Its pretty easy to remember anyway, I just couldn't think of it at the time, feel a bit silly about it too. I'm doing the rescue diving this year though, get this safety stuff ingrained in the brain.

howtomake Registered User
#8

locum-motion said:
Pilot one: "Remind me of the procedure for landing a jumbo jet with only three engines."
Pilot two: "Er I would except not sure if that follows under the umbrella like giving medical advice on boards."

Same logic (ie none)

howtomake said:
Er I would except not sure if that follows under the umbrella like giving medical advice on boards. Its pretty easy to remember anyway, I just couldn't think of it at the time, feel a bit silly about it too. I'm doing the rescue diving this year though, get this safety stuff ingrained in the brain.

Feisty, meow. :-P

1 person has thanked this post
tedshredsonfire Registered User
#9

Big difference between an uncontrolled rapid ascent and omitting your safety stop. If you have ascended fine and then "pop up" in the last 5m or so its not something to worry about majorly imho the safety stop is just that a safety stop. If you have a rapid uncontrolled ascent from 20m yeah break out the O2 and start travelling to the pot.

2 people have thanked this post
BigDuffman Registered User
#10

howtomake said:
Nothing serious happened but meh... Firstly viz was craaap, might as well been diving with my eyes closed. I was a magnet onto my buddy. Freezing etc etc,...

Anyone else have any stories so I don't feel like a complete spaz?


Don't worry about it mate. Every mistake made underwater that you can walk away from is a lesson learned.

Chalk them all down to experience. It's these experiences that make you a better a better diver.

I considered myself a solid diver as I never had a problem in warm water. My 2nd cold water dive. Was on a drift dive with shocking vis (in hindsight a bad 2nd dive!), fast current, freezing my balls off.

Got seperated from my buddy. Lost, disorientated, no dive computer, broken depth gauge, then my mask began to spring a leak that would not clear. I attempted a "safety stop" near surface. struggled to deploy SMB and then got smashed about on the surface by the swell....

Lessons learnt and moved on.

howtomake Registered User
#11

BigDuffman said:
Don't worry about it mate. Every mistake made underwater that you can walk away from is a lesson learned.

Chalk them all down to experience. It's these experiences that make you a better a better diver.

I considered myself a solid diver as I never had a problem in warm water. My 2nd cold water dive. Was on a drift dive with shocking vis (in hindsight a bad 2nd dive!), fast current, freezing my balls off.

Got seperated from my buddy. Lost, disorientated, no dive computer, broken depth gauge, then my mask began to spring a leak that would not clear. I attempted a "safety stop" near surface. struggled to deploy SMB and then got smashed about on the surface by the swell....

Lessons learnt and moved on.


Ooof that didn't sound like it was any fun. Thanks for sharing and like you said learn and move on.

loctite Registered User
#12

Don't worry about it....
we've all had **** dives where we make mistakes. At least you acknowledge them and like previous posters state, as long as you learn from them all well and good.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!