christeb Registered User

cambo_gueno said:
Personally, I'd prefer not to know if there was something potentially wrong with me. Then I'd just end up sitting at home worrying about what might happen. While this is indeed a really sad case, especially given her family story, I hope it doesn't attract too much attention from the PC brigade who'll start to mandate medical certs and insurance premiums for events. No thanks

You'd prefer not to know if something was wrong with your heart? You do know doctors and surgeons can fix things, don't you?

JohnnyCrash Registered User

BeepBeep67 said:
I don't want to be on the plane when the pilot has a heart attack
And thats exactly my point.The pilot having a heart attack is outside your control,nothing you can do about it

sconhome Registered User

Krusty_Clown said:
Medicine has moved on to a point where there's a pretty good chance of survival when a problem has been identified!

Even where it has not been identified as per the example of Fabrice Muamba recently.

This young lady dying is a terrible tragedy but should not put anyone off training for and attempting a marathon.

PaulieC Registered User

so much for listening to your body, eh ?

Seriously though, unless there is something pretty obvious wrong, it's going to take a lot more than a blood test and check from a GP to find anything wrong. Since Fabrice Muamba was already brought up as an example, he would've gone through pretty extensive checks as a professional footballer, none of which uncovered a problem. In fact, even the checks he received at the chest hospital didn't show anything wrong - even after he collapsed.
If I was a more serious athlete, then I would consider it, but since I am not and my health is generally good (at least according to the last check up I had last year) I am happy enough.
Touch wood, please god, fingers crossed etc.

smellslikeshoes Registered User

Amazing how much is being donated, if you press refresh it's going up every time.

robinph Moderator

It has now hit half a million.

dub8 Registered User

martyoo said:
What is a comprehensive medical check? I'm doing my first marathon this year and need to get checked out.

Is it enough to get bloods and an ECG done?

A comprehensive medical for a serious enough runner should also have an echocardiogram, bloods and ecg's only tell so much. very sad that this has happened , but not surprising given the high volume of people running. but at least some good is coming from it and she not just another statistic,

PaulieC Registered User

Does ecg != echocardiogram ?

dub8 Registered User

cambo_gueno said:
Does ecg != echocardiogram ?

nope ! ECG = electrocardiograph, looks at electrics of heart. an echo is an ultrasound of the heart, will look at the heart muscle amongst other things!

1 person has thanked this post
plodder Registered User

martyoo said:
What is a comprehensive medical check? I'm doing my first marathon this year and need to get checked out.

Is it enough to get bloods and an ECG done?

I'm not even sure an ECG is always necessary. There are known risk factors for heart disease which a GP could check you out with, that would decide if a stress ECG is worthwhile. The simplest test that doesn't even need a doctor is to get your blood pressure checked. A regular GP checkup should be adequate beyond that.

rom Registered User
mitosis Registered User

"diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat by an acupuncturist." according to her boyfriends testimony.

The supplement contains Dimethylamylamine DMAA which is banned in many countries.

It's in "Jack 3D," which, worryingly, seems to be popular in Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056683294

ncmc Registered User

What is this DMMA that was found? Her boyfriend said he thought it was a strong caffiene, but it doesn't really go into detail about it.

nerraw1111 said:
The supplement contains Dimethylamylamine DMAA which is banned in many countries.

It's in "Jack 3D," which, worryingly, seems to be popular in Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056683294

That jack 3D is frightening stuff. Mate of mine took it and he said he thought his heart was gonna jump out of his chest

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!