Hi. Recently i had to cancel my sky subscription so have been cut of by sky. A friend told me he thinks it is still possible to watch certain free to air channels like itv etc but they are not sure how. He mentioned something about taking out the sky viewing card and switching the box back on. He said it would still list all my usual channels but i will only be able to watch certain channels. Does anyone know if this is true before i try it because i dont want to mess up the box.
Thanks a million.

If you take out the card and restart it as far as I know you will get the UK epg ITV 1 2 3 4 etc.

brian ireland said:
If you take out the card and restart it as far as I know you will get the UK epg ITV 1 2 3 4 etc.

Not if it's a Sky HD box, AFAIK it doesn't change EPG when you remove the card

2 people have thanked this post
zerks Registered User

If it's a HD box then it'll be stuck on the Irish EPG which means 99% of the most popular fta channels will need to be manually tuned in and watched via Other Channels.

If it's not a HD box then all the FTA channels will be available by removing the card & plugging the box out then in again.Set the most popular as favourites and use the blue button to scroll through 'em.

Here's a list of the fta channels available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

PogMoThoin said:
Not if it's a Sky HD box, AFAIK it doesn't change EPG when you remove the card

Ok I stand corrected. Must have been a standard box my sister had and it worked on that.

zerks said:
If it's a HD box then it'll be stuck on the Irish EPG which means 99% of the most popular fta channels will need to be manually tuned in and watched via Other Channels.

If it's not a HD box then all the FTA channels will be available by removing the card & plugging the box out then in again.Set the most popular as favourites and use the blue button to scroll through 'em.

Here's a list of the fta channels available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

Hi. Thanks for the help. It is a sky hd box. So are you saying that if i go to add channels and put in the frequency details for free to air channels then i can recieve them????
Thanks.

John mac Registered User

smokey32 said:
Hi. Thanks for the help. It is a sky hd box. So are you saying that if i go to add channels and put in the frequency details for free to air channels then i can recieve them????
Thanks.

Yup.

1 person has thanked this post
zerks Registered User

smokey32 said:
Thanks.

Better option is to get a ftv card from adverts,there's a guy from Wicklow doing them for €15.
No messing about having to go to Other Channels to watch your favourite stuff.
The card will make the box revert to the UK EPG.

bodonnell Registered User

E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.

5 people have thanked this post
zerks Registered User

Disney HD is fta atm on 10921 H 22.0 5/6

Looks like tests for HD. It's a bit hit & miss for when its on so people might get lucky.

MarkK Registered User

bodonnell said:
E-mail setanta & request a ftv card quoting BAI Sound & vision scheme, tell them you already have a receiver and dish etc, they will order a card from sky for you & you should have it in 5 days or less. No cost for this.

What benefits or channels will that give him that he doesn't get with his old subscription card?

zerks Registered User

MarkK said:
What benefits or channels will that give him that he doesn't get with his old subscription card?

It's a ftv card,it unlocks the UK EPG on HD boxes,plus he'll get a couple more channels previously unavailable such as Viva,LFCTV & Pick IIRC.

gtg60 Registered User

zerks said:
It's a ftv card,it unlocks the UK EPG on HD boxes,plus he'll get a couple more channels previously unavailable such as Viva,LFCTV & Pick IIRC.

Do the FTV cards supplied via Setanta give you the UK channels on the EPG? I thought they pointed towards the scrambled ones? I have some ex Irish sub cards and that is what they seem to do.

bodonnell Registered User

gtg60 said:
Do the FTV cards supplied via Setanta give you the UK channels on the EPG? I thought they pointed towards the scrambled ones? I have some ex Irish sub cards and that is what they seem to do.

Yes they do, have done the 'card trick' successfully with it. However, if you call setanta to activate it as instructed it then becomes enabled with the irish epg so best not to call!!

gtg60 Registered User

bodonnell said:
Yes they do, have done the 'card trick' successfully with it. However, if you call setanta to activate it as instructed it then becomes enabled with the irish epg so best not to call!!

Ah, that's interesting!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!