gerarda Registered User
#16

IRL_Sinister said:
More importantly, how are you finding the course? What background did you have before starting it?


So far I think the staff did a good job on welcoming us to the college, I'm finding the content about right (not too hard or too easy but its still early days). The class size is a bit on the big size though, I have 14 years experience in IT.

IRL_Sinister Registered User
#17

gerarda said:
So far I think the staff did a good job on welcoming us to the college, I'm finding the content about right (not too hard or too easy but its still early days). The class size is a bit on the big size though, I have 14 years experience in IT.


I have no experience in IT. I'm doing this course to try and gain an entry into the IT industry. Do you think it's a good 'starter' course? Ideally, I'd have preferred the Software Engineering but still nothing heard whether or not they are doing it come Septemer or not.

gerarda Registered User
#18

IRL_Sinister said:
I have no experience in IT. I'm doing this course to try and gain an entry into the IT industry. Do you think it's a good 'starter' course? Ideally, I'd have preferred the Software Engineering but still nothing heard whether or not they are doing it come Septemer or not.


What is your backround? If your looking for advice I would recommend checking out the "For Dummies" books, they are very popular and teach the subject in a humorous and down to earth way. There is also a wealth of youtube video's on css, xhtml, ruby on rails too. Search for a guy called "thenewboston".

tatranska Registered User
#19

IRL_Sinister said:
I have no experience in IT. I'm doing this course to try and gain an entry into the IT industry. Do you think it's a good 'starter' course? Ideally, I'd have preferred the Software Engineering but still nothing heard whether or not they are doing it come Septemer or not.


What is your backround? If your looking for advice I would recommend checking out the "For Dummies" books, they are very popular and teach the subject in a humorous and down to earth way. There is also a wealth of youtube video's on css, xhtml, ruby on rails too. Search for a guy called "thenewboston".

Its a conversion course, so suitable for non techies.

IRL_Sinister Registered User
#20

gerarda said:
What is your backround? If your looking for advice I would recommend checking out the "For Dummies" books, they are very popular and teach the subject in a humorous and down to earth way. There is also a wealth of youtube video's on css, xhtml, ruby on rails too. Search for a guy called "thenewboston".



A Double BA in non-IT related industries. Aye, I try to read up on whatever I can. I will jumping straight into this course about a week after I land back in Ireland in September. You said the introduction was pretty good?


tatranska said:
Its a conversion course, so suitable for non techies.




Aye, that's what I thought.

mcR Registered User
#21

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for this course in September. Just wondering what the people think of the course now it has started, like what topics and material are covered and just a general view of the course.

Have you started semester 2 yet, I heard it's alot harder than the first one

tatranska Registered User
#22

I did the HDip last year as a non techie. It covers a lot of stuff and you'll need to do the work to keep up with deadlines but its well worth it.

Just to note that the modules have Continuous Assessments, major projects and exams.
If you fail any part (39%) then you fail the module.

I'm now doing the postgrad diploma in cloud computing.

mcR Registered User
#23

Thanks for the reply, the course work looks like alot of learning so ill go to the open day next week to get a bit more info and then maybe get a head start on the course

tatranska Registered User
#24

We had 2 nights and every Saturday. Doing post grad now and an internship.

bazpaul1 Registered User
#25

This thread has gotten quite old - but I am just wondering how the course is going for everyone? I will start the course in September as part of the Springboard initiative.

Do you really need a super laptop? I cant imagine the programming software requiring much ram. I have a feeling there might be virtual servers which might use a bit of ram.

My laptop only has 1gb of ram, but my PC at home has 6gb. I could probably do all the projects at home right?

Can anyone answer;
1. Is there a lot of programming?
2. Is there much entrepreneurship modules, like setting up your own web business?#
3. How much better equipped do you feel coming out of the course and did you get a job?

tatranska Registered User
#26

bazpaul1 said:
This thread has gotten quite old - but I am just wondering how the course is going for everyone? I will start the course in September as part of the Springboard initiative.

Do you really need a super laptop? I cant imagine the programming software requiring much ram. I have a feeling there might be virtual servers which might use a bit of ram.

My laptop only has 1gb of ram, but my PC at home has 6gb. I could probably do all the projects at home right?

Can anyone answer;
1. Is there a lot of programming?
2. Is there much entrepreneurship modules, like setting up your own web business?#
3. How much better equipped do you feel coming out of the course and did you get a job?



I did the HDip when it started and now doing a postgrad.(almost done)

There is a good bit of programing and you will probably use an IDE or VB for Ruby on rails.
My machine was a pentium which has served fine for 2 years.
There's no entrepreneurship on the hdip.
i did it having had 20 years in transport warehousing so used it to retain and now doing an internship which will hopefully lead to a job with the company.

You'll get out of it what you put in. i learnt a lot of programing but dont want to be a programmer. But i can tallk to techies at their level now One girl went on to be a ruby programmer so you have your choice.

Best of luck with the course.

mcR Registered User
#27

Hi tatranska,

Thanks for all your info.

Do you know if many of your class got jobs after completing the course or did it help to move onto further study like your postgrad. I was at the open day and asked the course lecturer about this and he wouldn't give me a direct answer

tatranska Registered User
#28

mcR said:
Hi tatranska,

Thanks for all your info.

Do you know if many of your class got jobs after completing the course or did it help to move onto further study like your postgrad. I was at the open day and asked the course lecturer about this and he wouldn't give me a direct answer



Some did. Some went onto other studies. A guy I work with did the cert part of the course(semester 1) and got work as a junior developer

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!