markofu Registered User

Folks,

We will be releasing some of the challenges from HackEire 2011 (some just aren't feasible sadly as they require a full system and network).

Check out http://twitter.com/hackeire for the link to the first challenge (reverse-engineering).

Damo2k has already been playing with it and seems to like it.

The objective is to find the code/answer. There are links to learning about reverse-engineering here -> http://www.hackeire.net/2011/10/useful-links-for-reverse-engineering.html.

Time permitting, I'm going to release the challenges once a month (there should be 5 or 6, providing I can find them all).

Any questions, PM me or contact me on Twitter (@markofu), which will be most likely quicker.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers, Mark

P.S. If you're wondering why I've changed my mind, it's a long story.

3 people have thanked this post
Damo2k Registered User

Done. Very good challenge. I recommend people try this.

Cheers markofu for that pointer.

Damo2k Registered User

Did anyone else try this ?

I haven't tried it yet. I don't have access to my windows VM for another week or thereabouts. I'll give it a bash then.

Damo2k Registered User

Next one please :-)

infodox Registered User

I know it is likely a silly question, but will there be a HackEire 2012 does anyone know? Have been working on some rather nice stuff here, mostly "embedded" and webapp stuff. Same question about CampusCon (2013?) (the server is down BTW)

No plans for CampusCon, but I could pose the question to the lads Potentially another con however at some point, but I can't say anymore about it yet.

markofu Registered User

Damo2k said:
Next one please :-)

Got distracted with a few other things, I'll try to get it sorted soon.

I can give out the other reverse-engineering challenge, which is harder, or I can try to track down the packet capture challenges????

Re. HackEire 2012, long story but it's not looking likely. A few discussions to be held over the next month I hope. All updates are posted on Twitter (hackeire or markofu) and www.hackeire.net.

AFAIK, IrissCon 2012 will be happening.

Damo2k Registered User

markofu said:

I can give out the other reverse-engineering challenge, which is harder, or I can try to track down the packet capture challenges????

Either, or. Packet capture ones might be fun!

markofu Registered User

@Damo2k

I'm up to my t*ts with work at the minute so haven't got around to finding the pcaps, I'll get them for you in a couple of weeks hopefully. Sorry for the delay

@Infodox

HackEire isn't on this year, the Iriss-Cert team are planning on developing their own challenge. I'm not involved so your best bet is to drop them an email.

GismoBaby Registered User

I have the pcap's and the accompanying question sheet...

If anyone still wants them ill post them...

markofu Registered User

Sorry for the delay Damo, here ya go....

3 pcap challenges (hopefully I've got them in the right order). A question sheet accompanies the pcaps. Link is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l48wjkuaqnu5yt1/V_YEiLD6tS.

The first challenge was sent out two days previous to HackEire 2011 and the others were on-the-day challenges so the first should be a little harder.

Enjoy! Any problems, let me know (PM or Twitter is best).

infodox Registered User

c1.pcap and c3.pcap are mixed up by the looks of things.

However, VERY grateful for this, and will be documenting my progress over on my site and posting here whenever I make some decent progress This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking to have a crack at!

Will have to give the Iriss guys a shout again sometime...

markofu Registered User

Yep, nice spot I've deleted the files and re-uploaded everything correctly! Let me know how you get on.

Damo2k Registered User

markofu said:
Sorry for the delay Damo, here ya go....

3 pcap challenges (hopefully I've got them in the right order). A question sheet accompanies the pcaps. Link is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l48wjkuaqnu5yt1/V_YEiLD6tS.

The first challenge was sent out two days previous to HackEire 2011 and the others were on-the-day challenges so the first should be a little harder.

Enjoy! Any problems, let me know (PM or Twitter is best).

Cheers will look at these.

Did anyone else take a look at the first challenge?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!