Heading from new ross to longford, galway, limerick, waterford new ross, I've nothing booked, so it's no biggy if I have to change my plans, I'm just going to escape on the bike for a couple of days.

2 people have thanked this post
smacl Registered User

mel.b said:
So my newbie acheivement is that I made it up Corkscrew hill in the Burren this evening! I stopped at the near the hotel to take a photo of the sign and then was able to make it to the first lookout. Stopped at the lookout for a few minutes to take a few photos, have a drink (& get my breath back) and then hopped back on the bike and continued onto Lisdoonvarna, then down to Fenore and back to Ballyvaughan.

Fair play, that's a decent old climb. I did a similar spin on the Thursday with my sister, starting and finishing in Doolin. Beautiful day for it, and one of my favourite routes. If you're going back on Friday, the spin over the cliffs of Moher to Lahinch is also great craic, though probably a bit easier. The pints in PJs in Fanore and McGanns in Doolin are also pretty decent post spin Loving the way the local cycle clubs have outlined the dodgy pot holes too, really helps the descents.

1 person has thanked this post
Zebrano Registered User

Got my longest spin in so far today 120km
and got a new top speed of 78.8kph

3 people have thanked this post
walaw Registered User

Managed my fastest ever average speed today, 28.3 km/h over 50 km in the wind and rain.
I started cycling at a higher cadence in the last week and there has been a big improvement. I am going faster and not as tired when I come off the bike.

2 people have thanked this post
Annunakicoming Registered User

Hi all
Just started ..have a mountain bike I bought ages ago..it's still brand new practically......doing 20 km spins ...very unfit...and haven't the right gear..any tips....places to buy...also would love some advice re whether bike is fitted with proper tyres ...etc etc.....plan on pursuing this to increase fitness levels and see more of north Dublin coastline etc etc...feedback anyone???

mel.b Registered User

walaw said:
Managed my fastest ever average speed today, 28.3 km/h over 50 km in the wind and rain.

Fair play on getting out in that weather today...that's a newbie acheivement I haven't yet acheived

thesimpsons Registered User

another newbie. started mid Feb at 20km after a winter spent walking to build up fitness and did a 50km yesterday. first 25k was straight into the wind but the return journey with the wind at my back was great. training for a 150km over 2 day charity cycle later in summer.

Got soaked...hence the request for advice re gear....I'm determined to do it once a day ,,,hail rain or shine ohh and gales

Fatbiker Registered User

walaw said:
I started cycling at a higher cadence in the last week and there has been a big improvement. I am going faster and not as tired when I come off the bike.

Can you explain what "cycling at a higher cadence" means and how I can do it?

What's cadence

Peadarmac1 Registered User

Hi, for a definition of cadence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(cycling)

Better than I could put it

Nice one

walaw Registered User

The rate at which the crank rotates
I don't know what the actual cadence is that I am doing (don't have a cadence monitor on my bike computer) but I am selecting lower gears than before and pedalling faster.
As a result my average speed on the same route has gone from 25/26 km/h to 28.3 km/h today in just over a week.
I think I was definately cycling at too high a gear. My legs were getting tired quicker
Another thing I've noticed is I don't have to get out of the saddle as much for the climbs. I try and maintain the same cadence, select an easier gear as required and stay in the saddle

1 person has thanked this post
paulgalway Registered User

Well. there's the second hand on your watch. Pick one of your feet,
and count how many times it goes down in 15 seconds - it's usually
easier to count for only fifteen seconds than to count for a whole
minute. If you only count for fifteen seconds, remember to multiply
by four to get your revolutions per minute.

Fatbiker said:
Can you explain what "cycling at a higher cadence" means and how I can do it?

Peadarmac1 said:
Hi, for a definition of cadence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadence_(cycling)

Better than I could put it

paulgalway said:
Well. there's the second hand on your watch. Pick one of your feet,
and count how many times it goes down in 15 seconds - it's usually
easier to count for only fifteen seconds than to count for a whole
minute. If you only count for fifteen seconds, remember to multiply
by four to get your revolutions per minute.

Cool

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!