Gus Ramsey of ESPN wrote the following in his Twitter: "accidentally deleted my earlier tweet. Rock and Brock each sign 1 year deals. WM28 did 1.9M buys. WWE was targeting 1.5M" If that ends up being the case, WWE certainly has a lot to be happy about.

Lord TSC Moderator

I'm calling BS, but I'm reading rumours that Mania drew 1.9 million buys...

gnfnrhead Registered User

Teamshadowclan said:
I'm calling BS, but I'm reading rumours that Mania drew 1.9 million buys...

If Wrestlemania got 1.9 million, TNA must be getting about 250,000 each month

2 people have thanked this post
Rjd2 Registered User

GTR63 said:
Gus Ramsey of ESPN wrote the following in his Twitter: "accidentally deleted my earlier tweet. Rock and Brock each sign 1 year deals. WM28 did 1.9M buys. WWE was targeting 1.5M" If that ends up being the case, WWE certainly has a lot to be happy about.

That tweet is everywhere, I am doubtful. Its a monumental upturn from last year which was considered a success at the time if true....

rovert Banned

Rjd2 said:
That tweet is everywhere, I am doubtful. Its a monumental upturn from last year which was considered a success at the time.

It would put it approaching Del La Hoya vs Meaweather levels (2.1M). So yeah total BS.

jaykhunter Moderator

This 1.9 million buys for Mania has to be nothing more than an estimate, if not a wild guess. I imagine it's a sampling from an area. We won't know the official figures until the next quarter during WWE's business shareholder's meeting.

But even if it's 1.4 million, WM/Rock has been a resounding success. Only caught the "once in a lifetime" buildup before RAW, was impressed at how WWE played it off - that these are two megastar celebrities fighting; since the wrestling audience was already sold on it.

Also, ratings barely budged an inch, which doesn't really add up to almost doubling some manias of previous years. Doesn't seem there was too much outside interest, but who knows.

jaykhunter Moderator

Split this off into it's own thread as i saw it posted in more than one thread. Everyone can have a goosie then i'll put it in the WM thread

I can't see how it wouldn't have beaten the trump one even with the poor build, they got 1.1 the year before with heaps less going for it.
I'll guess 1.5 though.

I honestly think WrestleMania would have done the 0.8 to 1.1 range maximum, as of the Monday before Mania. But the Lesnar rumours would have swung it a little higher, perhaps the 1.2 to 1.4 range maximum. But 1.9 is way out of the ballpark, I'd say they'd be quite happy with 1.2 especially since the ratings have been so mediocre since the Rumble. But if the rumours are true Vince is absolutely creaming himself and probably throwing money at Rock and Lesnar to never leave again..

Charisteas Registered User

Is that 1.9million figure Domestic or International though?

1 person has thanked this post
rovert Banned

Charisteas said:
Is that 1.9million figure Domestic or International though?

^ Dude knows his onions

Lord TSC Moderator

For comparison, here's the buyrates for previous years...

WrestleMania 1 - 398,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
WrestleMania 2 - 319,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
WrestleMania III - 450,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and another 400,000 on PPV
WrestleMania IV - 175,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
WrestleMania V - 767,000
WrestleMania VI - 550,000
WrestleMania VII - 400,000
WrestleMania VIII - 360,000
WrestleMania IX - 430,000
WrestleMania X - 420,000
WrestleMania XI - 340,000
WrestleMania XII - 290,000
WrestleMania 13 - 237,000 (Lowest Buyrate Record)
WrestleMania XIV - 730,000
WrestleMania XV - 800,000
WrestleMania 2000 - 824,000
WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000
WrestleMania X8 - 880,000
WrestleMania XIX - 560,000
WrestleMania XX - 1,007,000
WrestleMania 21 - 1,085,000
WrestleMania 22 - 975,000
WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (Highest Buyrate Record)
WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000
WrestleMania XXV - 960,000
WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000
WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000

Not sure about domestic and international though...

rovert Banned

Gus Ramsey:

Re: WM28 buy rate. 1- I work at espn, not a reporter. Not the same thing. 2- I heard the number but have no confirmation. I thought the number was already out there. I wasnt trying to break any news. Just tweeting to my small following in case they missed it. I trust who I heard it from, but again no confirmation.

Bill Simmon's professional friend

Charlie Haughy Registered User

Teamshadowclan said:
For comparison, here's the buyrates for previous years...

Not sure about domestic and international though...

Wow, wrestlemania 19 did shít in comparison to the rest of the recent manias, it had a super mania card and its one of my favourite Manias ever. Wonder why it did so poorly numbers wise...

Id imagine if we had that exact same mania card next year, we'd be getting over double the buys of WM 19, considering it had Rock, Austin, Angle, Brock, Hogan, Taker, Trips, HBK, Jericho, Flair etc.

Oh, and Limp Bizkit.

rovert Banned

Charlie Haughy said:
Wow, wrestlemania 19 did shít in comparison to the rest of the recent manias, and its one of my favourite Manias ever. Wonder why it did so poorly...

WWE officially blamed Seattle for being a terrible and isolated media market. National newspapers and TV tend to based in the New Yorks and LAs of the world. WWE also blamed Angle and Lesnar for not drawing. Wrestling pundits on the other hand put the blame on Hogan/Vince for not drawing as they had most TV time in the Mania build up.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!