A4volvo Registered User

fasttalkerchat said:
Ah well thats a different story. I wouldn't take it for granted that its the turbo! What colour smoke do you get?

Very white smoke flows for about 2 mins when started!

A4volvo Registered User

taintabird said:
Over full of oil most likely VW's don't handle being over filled very well they generally blow the excess oil into the intake system

The oil has always been half ( between min and max) since i got it checked every week so its not burning oil

1.9 TDIs are notorious for whistling and whining a little on acceleration and so wouldn't be so sure your turbo is going.

A4volvo said:
Very white smoke flows for about 2 mins when started!

Smoke from the turbo would be blue and wouldn't go away after a couple on mins, it would be there all the time, especially under acceleration.

How is your coolant level?

A4volvo Registered User

Coolant is between min and max aswell and isnt using any

A4volvo said:
Coolant is between min and max aswell and isnt using any

Do you do much mileage? Are you sure its not just the normal steam from the exhaust after start up in colder weather?

A4volvo Registered User

156k miles, no its definitely smoke. It smells and is present in all weathers hot or cold.

rex-x Registered User

Nissan doctor said:
Smoke from the turbo would be blue and wouldn't go away after a couple on mins, it would be there all the time, especially under acceleration.

How is your coolant level?

This is not entirely true. Most turbos run on a piston ring and oil flinger style seal and have one on the compressor and one on the turbine. If it happens to be the compressor one that leaks it will be blue smoke, if its the turbine it will be thick white smoke as the oil doesnt go through the combustion cycle, it is only dumped into the hot exhaust gases.
Also as these seals 'wear' startup is when you notice the oil first as when you finish driving some oil seeps past and is present for your next start, its not present in normal driving as the seals ability to seal is increased with turbo speed (to a certain point)
It is only in the situation of total seal failure, or bearing failure leading to seal destruction would you see smoke at all times of driving.

shansey Registered User

Hey! I'm driving an 07 golf tdi.. Had some problems before with the turbo pipe coming loose but tonight I felt a bit of a thud as I took off and I basically had no power.. Has my turbo gone!? I could still get the car upto 100kph but it took A LOT longer!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!