skillian Registered User
#16

Yeah you're right, and it's good to hear from someone who works in the power sector. However how many people are ever going to support any of those options? Not many anyway. In the end, new generation in the next 10 or 20 years will more than likely be 50:50 wind and interconnection with the UK at high costs.

What is needed is a state run gas exploration company and a large government investment. Haha, we would have more chance with nuclear!

Anyway we're completly off topic, this should be moved to a new thread.

zagmund Registered User
#17

Here's the non-science bit.

I'd say it's getting a fair old workout with the wind today.

z

#18

zagmund said:
Here's the non-science bit.

I'd say it's getting a fair old workout with the wind today.

z


The few heavy wind days that we've had the turbine has actually been still. Not sure about today though.

Measure Twice Registered User
#19

skillian said:
In the end, new generation in the next 10 or 20 years will more than likely be 50:50 wind and interconnection with the UK at high costs.

What is needed is a state run gas exploration company and a large government investment. Haha, we would have more chance with nuclear!

Not really. The more wind turbines you have, the more gas turbines you need to make up for the variability of the wind. So, Gas will be bigger in future whether it is from gas fracking or not. Along with large pumped storage plants.

Also, something is needed to replace the coal and peat stations which are base load at the moment. This will be carbon capture and storage if it ever becomes developed and economical. If not, it will be nuclear.

All this, of course, depends on our ability to get large infrastructure built in any reasonable timeframe. That is the bigger challenge.

But now it is time to get back to the topic.......

Saudi Arabia and the UAE are going nuclear and so, probably, will we.

Measure Twice Registered User
#20

This machine doesn't seem to have turned at all in the past couple of days, even though the wind speed is 10 to 15 m/s and should be ideal for max output.

Is there a problem with it, does anyone know?

Rocky Bay Banned
#21

zagmund said:
Here's the non-science bit.

I'd say it's getting a fair old workout with the wind today.

z

Here is the sad bit...thousands of birds are killed by windmills on a daily basis.

Junkjack Registered User
#22

Why is everyone so interested/ obsessed in the payback of these machines, sure would you be looking for payback for the full amount if you bought a new car and selling it10 years later. A turbine or solar panels or any other kind of renewable system is a luxury. Like the new hybrid or all electric cars and vans, they are very expensive but cost less to run.
Once you have it, it will reduce ur, electricity straight away

iopener Registered User
#23

i heard it cost something like 80 grand to install from the manufacturer C AND F galway,that's before you get your grant from sustainable energy ireland which would lower the cost,the maintenance manager down there's new thing is green energy.it's a 11kw turbine,it's actually designed to 'lock out' in high winds so that the blades don't rotate too fast and wreck itself (there's a good video on youtube of one complety destroying itself) ,i have to admit the first few weeks disappointing,1 of the inverters blew,but the last few weeks the turbine is running steady,the wind down there is nearly constant even in the middle of summer the breeze coming from the sea is freezing,i agree it's p.r. exercise but at least it's a start.another 100 of more to go.

Junkjack Registered User
#24

iopener said:
i heard it cost something like 80 grand to install from the manufacturer C AND F galway,that's before you get your grant from sustainable energy ireland which would lower the cost,the maintenance manager down there's new thing is green energy.it's a 11kw turbine,it's actually designed to 'lock out' in high winds so that the blades don't rotate too fast and wreck itself (there's a good video on youtube of one complety destroying itself) ,i have to admit the first few weeks disappointing,1 of the inverters blew,but the last few weeks the turbine is running steady,the wind down there is nearly constant even in the middle of summer the breeze coming from the sea is freezing,i agree it's p.r. exercise but at least it's a start.another 100 of more to go.


80 grand, now that's expensive. You could install a few roof top turbines for that price

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!