a5y Registered User

A question for anyone who has performed a switchless mod on a Sega Saturn:

is the stock power LED on the (PAL) Sega Saturn a 3 colour LED, or just a regular one? Is a 3 colour LED a part I'd need to buy to attempt the mod?

I was reading up on how to do this mod (here) and it wasn't explicitly clear.

After a bit of thought it then occured to me that I don't actually know for how long 3 colour LEDs are used in consoles. - if it weren't for the RRoD on YLoD on Xbox 360s and PS3s I probably wouldn't think that any unmodded consoles used 3 colour LEDs.

No hurry on an answer for this, I'm a long way off from understanding a lot of the instructions, let alone having the skills to do 'em.

TouchingVirus Registered User

a5y said:
A question for anyone who has performed a switchless mod on a Sega Saturn:

is the stock power LED on the (PAL) Sega Saturn a 3 colour LED, or just a regular one? Is a 3 colour LED a part I'd need to buy to attempt the mod?

I was reading up on how to do this mod (here) and it wasn't explicitly clear.

From the article you linked to (page 1)

It's done by exchanging the green power-LED with a multicolor LED (I've used a 3-pin red/green-LED, which gives colors red/green/orange) and by multiplexing all needed functions on the Reset-Button.

I believe that answers your question. Why would you need to exchange the power-LED if it was already a dual-color? Dual color (Red/Green), not tri-color, because mixing green + red light makes yellow/orange.

Also, as a complement to the guide from Seb, see this mmmonkey page

2 people have thanked this post
a5y Registered User

Cheers. Brain no function to comprehend electronics or logic so well during small hours of morning.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!