muckyhands Registered User
#16

marcp said:
just spotted on done deal, one year old sika deer for sale in waterford, sorry if this has already been pointed out! time to re-stock maybe?!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/goats/3128140



Is this a joke? I seriously hope so.

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun'), for our own native Irish deer species?

Worth noting I am against bloodsports.

#17

marcp said:
just spotted on done deal, one year old sika deer for sale in waterford, sorry if this has already been pointed out! time to re-stock maybe?!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/goats/3128140



Is this a joke? I seriously hope so.

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun', for our own native Irish deer species?

Worth noting I am against bloodsports.

How are a few pen reared sika going to do any harm?

garv123 Registered User
#18

muckyhands said:
Is this a joke? I seriously hope so.

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun'), for our own native Irish deer species?

Worth noting I am against bloodsports.


What has blood sports got to do with hunting? we aren't in the
colosseum

Sika deer are in ireland with a population of over 20,000 now since the early 1800's, if the land owners in a area agree to let deer on their land its their choice.

3 people have thanked this post
muckyhands Registered User
#19

kildare.17hmr said:
How are a few pen reared sika going to do any harm?



A few 'penned' or caged grey squirrel= what exactly?

The near loss at this stage of our own native Red squirrel.

Accidents happen- they get- and got- released.

Educate yourself about Sika deer and the damage caused to Irish Forestry and Agriculture, and the danger of interbreeding/ hybrids and its result.

garv123 Registered User
#20

muckyhands said:
A few 'penned' or caged grey squirrel= what exactly?

The near loss at this stage of our own native Red squirrel.

Accidents happen- they get- and got- released.

Educate yourself about Sika deer and the damage caused to Irish Forestry and Agriculture, and the danger of interbreeding/ hybrids and its result.


But yet they have more protection than the native fox?

whats the danger hybrids cause?

muckyhands Registered User
#21

garv123 said:
What has blood sports got to do with hunting? we aren't in the
colosseum

Sika deer are in ireland with a population of over 20,000 now since the early 1800's, if the land owners in a area agree to let deer on their land its their choice.



Just because Lord Powerscourt in the 1800' s fancied a few 'exotic' deer- makes it no more acceptable or okay than whoever it was in Co. Longford who fancied a few 'exotic' grey squirrels.

Would we all like to see the extinction and/ or loss of genetic purity of native Irish species of mammals- just because some fella, way back when, wanted to 'show off' what he could get?

muckyhands Registered User
#22

garv123 said:
But yet they have more protection than the native fox?

whats the danger hybrids cause?


Cross Red deer with Sika, what do you get? A hybrid/ a cross of two distinct species-

they are not Sika/ they are not Red deer so this = loss of genetically pure species of Sika and Red deer alike. No longer Sika and no longer Red Deer=

A HYBRID- NOT GOOD FOR A NATIVE IRISH MAMMAL (ie the Red Deer).

Sika are not native.

Who knows, maybe if a lord had of introduced a 'Great Pink Fox' to Ireland, way back when, our Irish Red Fox might be given more protection now.

Birdnuts Registered User
#23

muckyhands said:
Just because Lord Powerscourt in the 1800' s fancied a few 'exotic' deer- makes it no more acceptable or okay than whoever it was in Co. Longford who fancied a few 'exotic' grey squirrels.

Would we all like to see the extinction and/ or loss of genetic purity of native Irish species of mammals- just because some fella, way back when, wanted to 'show off' what he could get?


The laws are now very strict on the introduction of non-native animals(and plants), and such actions that occured in the past would not now be legal - but we are where we are as regards the deer population in this country and its make up. Whether farmed deer are bought or sold on donedeal or anywhere else is not going to make much of a difference in that respect.

In any case given the availiablity of wild deer in most of the country, I don't know why anyone would bother buying and releasing deer into the wild in Ireland in 2012.

1 person has thanked this post
Alan 1990 Registered User
#24

marcp said:
just spotted on done deal, one year old sika deer for sale in waterford, sorry if this has already been pointed out! time to re-stock maybe?!!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/goats/3128140



Is this a joke? I seriously hope so.

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun', for our own native Irish deer species?

Worth noting I am against bloodsports.


So against 'bloodsports'? Why click into a thread which is in the hunting forum? Simple, if you don't like don't look/read!

3 people have thanked this post
dwighet Registered User
#25

Alan 1990 said:
So against 'bloodsports'? Why click into a thread which is in the hunting forum? Simple, if you don't like don't look/read!


Alan...you know yourself they cant help themselves

1 person has thanked this post
Grizzly 45 Registered User
#26

muckyhands said:
A few 'penned' or caged grey squirrel= what exactly?

The near loss at this stage of our own native Red squirrel.

Seeing that this happened well over a century ago as did the introduction of various other critters into our eco system,like pike,rainbow trout,fallow deer,magpies and pheasents.Should we massacre all those as well as they werent native either??Seeing that they are well established into our countryside and have protection ,I doubt you could argue that they are invasive now.aS well as that we have a
good pouplation of reds West of the Shannon,which acts as a natural barrier to the grey.

Accidents happen- they get- and got- released
.

Yeah..Usually by anti bloodsport animal libber types!Seeing that ALF claimed that they sabotaged the grey squirrel traps around some Dublin university a few years back.



Educate yourself about Sika deer and the damage caused to Irish Forestry and Agriculture, and the danger of interbreeding/ hybrids and its result.


Is the view good from that very high horse you rode on in here???
Think you 'll find there are people who have forgotton more than you'll ever learn on Sika,Fallow ,Red ,and Muntjac on this board!!
So I dont think we need to be told to educate ourselves by an anti of all people!

Hmm doesnt this go as well against done deals smug scantimonious policy of not allowing wild animals to be sold on their website???

2 people have thanked this post
pugw Registered User
#27

muckyhands said:
Is this a joke? I seriously hope so.

Has any of you any idea what harm comes from Sika deer in Ireland and do any of you have any consideration, (regardless of what you do with them (the deer) for your own 'fun'), for our own native Irish deer species?

Worth noting I am against bloodsports.

It wasnt anyone here that has the ad up so who do you think you are coming on preaching to us? "Anti bloodsports" . . . . . f*cking gaul with nothing else to bother you!

German pointer Registered User
#28

I hate to be answering the gob****e but it be best if we ignore him as he is only doing it wind us up. Ignore him and his likes and he will go away and we can have the hunting boards back for hunters

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!