Evening folks,

I saw my first creeping thistle rear it's thorny ugly head on St. Patricks day. I used something called "high grass" on them last year but I'm not all that convinced that will kill them off long term - and that is my goal, eradication. What is the best spray to use from a spot sprayer for creeping thistle? (Thistlex maybe? But I've never seen it for sale here).

Also docks, have an increasing amount of them around the shed and I also want them gone, same question, what's best and when to spray them?

Thanks in advance,

John

nilhg Registered User

You are talking about using a knapsack? Depending on how extensive the problem is would Roundup/Glyposate be an option?

Only a small number of docks to be honest, but I want rid of them before they start spreading too much. I was never gone on glypho, would rather something weed specific. The creeping thistle, on the other hand, if they come back as bad s they were last year there will be a lot of them.

nilhg Registered User

Something like pastor would probably be a catch all for both, putting it on in a spot situation you could really saturate the thistles, they are normally hard to wet properly.

padowado Registered User

I found Nettle ban or bandock very good

PatQfarmer Registered User

padowado said:
I found Nettle ban or bandock very good

Me too. By far the best either knapsack or sprayer.

Good loser Registered User

I would go with roundup/glyphosate with knapsack.

Farmer Pudsey Registered User

D50 will kill thistles docks are another issue Grazon, bandock or if you are in a tillage area get some Allay from a tillage store you can use it around a yard it is off label for use on docks in grassland.

johngalway said:
Evening folks,

I saw my first creeping thistle rear it's thorny ugly head on St. Patricks day. I used something called "high grass" on them last year but I'm not all that convinced that will kill them off long term - and that is my goal, eradication. What is the best spray to use from a spot sprayer for creeping thistle? (Thistlex maybe? But I've never seen it for sale here).

Also docks, have an increasing amount of them around the shed and I also want them gone, same question, what's best and when to spray them?

Thanks in advance,

John

Id be leaning towards Pastor or Thistlex. Usually i apply pastor but the year before last i couldnt get it , so i was recommended Forefront . Super stuff altogether but cant seem to source any out my way .
Careful of spraydrift though , its lethal !!!!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!