Ellis Dee Registered User
#61

Fifteen years and a quarter of a billion euro to find out something the dogs in the street already knew: Ireland has some of the best politicians that money can buy and a lot of fat cat capitalists were willing to help line their pockets in return for preferential treatment that helped them shaft honest citizens. The most worrying aspect of the summary of the report I have read is that at least some Gardai seem to have been, at best, less than diligent in the performance of their duty and, at worst, downright involved in illegality of the "protect influential politicians" kind in addition to the "framing innocent people" kind that we already knew about from Donegal and elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to reading the full report, but expect that it will not lead to anyone being jailed. At best, sez I the eternal optimist, controls will be tightened up, the media will become more vigilant, and political corruption will, over the long term, be reduced to something like the level that the Nordic countries are lucky to be able to boast of.

2 people have thanked this post
raymon Registered User
#62

I'm sure the Sunday (FF Newsletter) Independent is working overtime to make the report sound less damaging to FF

2 people have thanked this post
#63

raymon said:
I'm sure the Sunday (FF Newsletter) Independent is working overtime to make the report sound less damaging to FF

The most dignified thing they could do is disband at this stage.
they might not have been the only guilty party but they were by far the worst as details unfold.
good god people are excusing Bertie now because of his role in the GFA,someone should tell them that one right does not excuse his many wrongs.

jmayo Registered User
#64

Just listening to discussion on Liveline and someone said that if ahern was brought to court today he would not be found guilty of anything.

But if a normal member of society was found to have had large cash transactions, in and out of bank accounts at their disposal, that they can not provide adequate documentation to prove the authenticity of those funds, then they could be investigated by CAB and Revenue.

Now I think it is vital that CAB and Revenue investigate ahern and flynn much like they have investigated john gilligan or any other criminal.

Where are the differences between gilligan claiming funds in his accounts were from gambling and the claims made under oath by b ahern ?

2 people have thanked this post
Laminations Registered User
#65

Ellis Dee said:
Fifteen years and a quarter of a billion euro to find out something the dogs in the street already knew:


The dogs on the street may have known but I can't recall the number of (mostly FFers) who wouldn't make their mind up about Bertie until the report was released and Mahon told them how to think. Well now the report is out. I'd love to hear from these posters. I won't mention them by name because that'll be deemed as 'getting personal' but you know who you are.

So if you've waited until Mahon is published to comment, well it is published.....so comment?

2 people have thanked this post
BlaasForRafa Registered User
#66

timesnap said:
The most dignified thing they could do is disband at this stage.
they might not have been the only guilty party but they were by far the worst as details unfold.
good god people are excusing Bertie now because of his role in the GFA,someone should tell them that one right does not excuse his many wrongs.


Indeed. Lets not forget that it wasn't just Bertie that was up to shenanigans, Padraig Flynn, Ray Burke and Liam Lawlor were also up to their oxters in corruption. MM may try and draw a line on it by expelling Ahern but I can't see how that will remove the taint of dodginess from FF.

1 person has thanked this post
#67

jmayo said:
Just listening to discussion on Liveline and someone said that if ahern was brought to court today he would not be found guilty of anything.

But if a normal member of society was found to have had large cash transactions, in and out of bank accounts at their disposal, that they can provide adequate documentation to prove the authenticity of those funds, then they could be investigated by CAB and Revenue.

Now I think it is vital that CAB and Revenue investigate ahern and flynn much like they have investigated john gilligan or any other criminal.

Where are the differences between gilligan claiming funds in his accounts were from gambling and the claims made under oath by b ahern ?


Its a good question jmayo,does anybody know could CAB's terms of reference allow those mentioned in the report to be treated like any other criminal?
my understanding of CAB is it does not need as much evidence to investigate how people have their wealth or properties beyond their declared income

SeaFields Gone fishin'
#68

It was mentioned almost immediately by the government, once the details became clear, that the report would be passed on to the Garda Commissioner, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Revenue Commissioners and to the Standards in Public Office Commission.

1 person has thanked this post
#69

SeaFields said:
It was mentioned almost immediately by the government, once the details became clear, that the report would be passed on to the Garda Commissioner, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Revenue Commissioners and to the Standards in Public Office Commission.


All of the above are somewhat implicated in at least turning the blind eye.
only for costs i wish an international body of some kind could investigate,pity we are such a small Country that we do not have something like the feds in the US.

Dodge Registered User
#70

timesnap said:
All of the above are somewhat implicated in at least turning the blind eye.
only for costs i wish an international body of some kind could investigate,pity we are such a small Country that we do not have something like the feds in the US.


The 'never-been-involved-in-any-scandal-ever' feds? What TV world do you live in?

jank Banned
#71

Sierra Oscar said:
The systematic corruption within the political system is just sick.


Kinda ironic saying that when your party FF were at the heart of it.

1 person has thanked this post
jonsnow Registered User
#72

SeaFields said:
It was mentioned almost immediately by the government, once the details became clear, that the report would be passed on to the Garda Commissioner, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Revenue Commissioners and to the Standards in Public Office Commission.


Where it will sit quietly gathering dust

1 person has thanked this post
Sierra Oscar Category Moderator
#73

jank said:
Kinda ironic saying that when your party FF were at the heart of it.


Indeed, and that does not make it any more acceptable in the slightest.

jonsnow said:
Where it will sit quietly gathering dust


Most likely unfortunately - just look at the Moriarty Tribunal. One year exactly to the day since it was published and there has been absolutely no movement on any sort of disciplinary action being taken against those who were implicated in its findings.

#74

Dodge said:
The 'never-been-involved-in-any-scandal-ever' feds? What TV world do you live in?

I will answer you Dodge when i get clarification from a mod that it is ok to reply to you in the way i would wish to.

#75

I believe the disbandment of Fianna Fail would be good for this country. They are the party of corruption and chicanery. Cleanse politics here by getting shot of them.

Ceremonially bury corruption with them. Then come down like a ton of bricks on anyone that dare to do wrong in politics from here on in.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!