Grey legion Registered User

Another similar talk of the same author, earlier (2010), with some complementary information :

http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/videos/rise-super-predatory-sharks

As for Carcharocles, officially it is widely called as such, though in Europe, it seems to have been renamed Megaselachus megalodon, as well for the other Carcharocles genus.

I am pretty sure since a while that orcas may not have preyed on Megs, at first indeed because the contemporary species, O.citonniensis, was much smaller but also that because Orcas only prey rarely on large whales, mainly juvenile and the battle takes hours. During the famous attack facing 29 Orcas against a 18 m Blue Whale, it took 5 hours of struggle for severly injure the whale.
As said above, no Orcas attack Bull Sperm Whale in Nature. So, I m highly skeptical that even modern Orcas would have tried to engage a full grown Carcharocles megalodon which is know for attack baleen and sperm whales during its time.

Fair enough, the Orcas and the smaller predatory sharks were more adapted to the new global situation in oceans.

Zadkiel Registered User
Grey legion Registered User

Several large teeth :

2 people have thanked this post
Zadkiel Registered User

Thanks for the reply
Oh yeh I know the size would be genuine enough I'm just curious as to whether you'd get authentic intact teeth on ebay ?

Adam Khor Moderator

Zadkiel said:
Thanks for the reply
Oh yeh I know the size would be genuine enough I'm just curious as to whether you'd get authentic intact teeth on ebay ?

Don´t see why not... I've seen fossils much rarer and scientifically valuable being sold on the web...

1 person has thanked this post
Wibbs Je suis un Rock star

They're pretty common Z, so yea you would see them on ebay. I've seen a genuine mammoth skull and tusks on the bay. eBay can be quite a good place to get fossils. You have to be careful of course. EG 90% of the so called cave bear fossils are of more modern bear types.

1 person has thanked this post
Adam Khor Moderator

Grey legion said:
Another similar talk of the same author, earlier (2010), with some complementary information :

As for Carcharocles, officially it is widely called as such, though in Europe, it seems to have been renamed Megaselachus megalodon, as well for the other Carcharocles genus.

Megaselachus megalodon... I'm not sure about this name although it is a little bit more epic than "Carcharocles"... but nothing like the sound of the old Carcharodon megalodon

Galvasean Registered User

Was Megaselachus not abandoned as a genus in the late 60s?

Rubecula Moderator

Galvasean said:
Was Megaselachus not abandoned as a genus in the late 60s?

Not sure exactly when Megaselachus went out of vogue but it was what is now called Carcharocles megalodon

Hope that helps.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!