SimonTemplar Registered User

Just back from seeing it a second time and I really enjoyed it again. After a fairly disappointing summer, it is so refreshing to see an engrossing film that doesn't just throw CGI at the screen and treat us like infants.

There are certain moments in the movie that I really like,

Spoiler (Show)

Let's hope this doesn't make the same mistake as The Matrix and end up producing low quality sequals.

johnny_ultimate Production Model EVA-02

How are other cinemas displaying this, out of curiosity? I know most of the city centre cinemas are all digital, but it'd be nice if the suburban and regional cinemas had prints. This looks really great in 35mm: grainy, moody and loyal to its noir influences.

Mickeroo Category Moderator

johnny_ultimate said:
How are other cinemas displaying this, out of curiosity? I know most of the city centre cinemas are all digital, but it'd be nice if the suburban and regional cinemas had prints. This looks really great in 35mm: grainy, moody and loyal to its noir influences.

I'm not too sure, I think I saw it in 35mm but I'm not really sure I'm able to tell the difference tbh It looked great anyway, and it was on the biggest screen they have. They don't use that screen for 3D movies so I thought it might not be digital.

krudler Registered User

CMpunked said:
That was
Spoiler (Show)

I didn't catch that either at first, but you need
Spoiler (Show)
but I wonder if a sequel ever gets made will it expand on that or
Spoiler (Show)

don ramo Registered User

johnny_ultimate said:

my local gate in middleton cork was definitely a 35mm print, a lot of black ellipses throughout the show, and it was fairly grainy also

it was a great film, i always like these little sci-fi films, last year was In Time and now this ,this was a much better film though, so many familiar faces right throughout the film also,

i liked that it showed a future where people live more or less the same way as we do now, and the people with money drive nice cars, or hover bikes, which appeared to be a fairly recent invention, cause there werent any flying cars, and people with just enough money still live in **** holes,

Spoiler (Show)

i thoroughly enjoyed it and cant wait to see it again on disc

Goldstein Registered User

Highly enjoyable film worthy of the science fiction tag. I was a little apprehensive beforehand as I thought Brick was one of the most pretentious films I've ever watched but he certainly pulled this one off in style. Blunt in particular brought great depth and authenticity to her role and what can you say about that other person! It treats you to some truly stunning moments and memorable shots that I'm delighted I saw on the big screen.

It's not the hard sci-fi of Primer, Timecrimes or Triangle but it's all the better for not venturing down that road concentrating instead on telling its own fresh, original and very human story.

One major negative though:
Hopefully the Blu-ray will have an option to remove the overused tacky lens flare that plagued all of the film's night scenes. It made those scenes jarring to watch and the constant annoyance took me right out of the narrative.

Josey Wales Registered User

Just back from seeing this and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is always great to see an action film with more than just explosions. I liked the future world and how it wasn't all explained. There was plenty of information given out, you just had to listen for it.

I have two questions though.

1. Anyone know why it took so long to be released. It finished shooting in April 2011 as far as I know.

2. It has been asked before and answered by Johnny_Ultimate but I didn't get that explanation.

Spoiler (Show)
I'm confused

johnny_ultimate Production Model EVA-02

Josey Wales said:

2. It has been asked before and answered by Johnny_Ultimate but I didn't get that explanation.
Spoiler (Show)
I'm confused

Spoiler (Show)

3 people have thanked this post

johnny_ultimate said:
Spoiler (Show)

I just found an interview by Rian Johnson where he explained this element of the film.
Spoiler (Show)
It makes perfect sense to me know.

charlie_says Registered User

I enjoyed it too. A solid 7.5/10 for me.

Spoiler (Show)

Hasmunch Registered User

Sawe the film and loved it but i have one or two confusing questions though...

Spoiler (Show)

Skerries Registered User

Spoiler (Show)

Banjaxed82 Registered User

I've just copied and pasted this from another message board. It's regarding a huge plot hole. The guy has a point....

Spoiler (Show)

tok9 Registered User

Saw it last night and loved it.

From what I could gather a lot of people thought that Cid and Joe were the same person.

The one thing that I can't get my head around is this

Spoiler (Show)

That sounds ridiculous

Banjaxed82 said:
I've just copied and pasted this from another message board. It's regarding a huge plot hole. The guy has a point....

Spoiler (Show)

Some of that is addressed here by the director. Particularly the plot point
Spoiler (Show)

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!