Did anyone else hear Noel Brett with Matt Cooper today (16/3/12) mentioning a case where a bus driver lost his license after being pulled up for going too slowly? Seems quite harsh IMO.

He referred to it in response to a texter complaining of being currently stuck behind a caravan somewhere. No mention of the fact that the driver shouldnt have been texting.

1 person has thanked this post

You will fail your driving test for not keeping up with traffic.

6 people have thanked this post

Joko said:
You will fail your driving test for not keeping up with traffic.

No kidding?

foggy_lad Banned

Going Forward said:
No kidding?

It is called a failure to proceed or progress afaik and will fail you in the test.

coylemj Registered User

Going Forward said:
No kidding?

No, it's a box on the examiner's sheet called something like 'failing to make sufficient progress'. While there is no minimum speed limit for driving a car, you can fail the test if you drive too slow.

UnknownSpecies Registered User

I failed my full license test for progress on the straight

coylemj said:
No, it's a box on the examiner's sheet called something like 'failing to make sufficient progress'. While there is no minimum speed limit for driving a car, you can fail the test if you drive too slow.

I know all that, but I thought that the case he mentioned was a bit over the top, admittedly I dont know the full circumstances, but it seems the driver was penalised for driving a bus carefully.

My thoughts on hearing it were that some other defect must have caused the ban, such as no DOE, serious fault with the vehicle etc...

coylemj Registered User

I can't imagine how you could lose your licence for going too slow because there isn't any offence under the RTA which relates to going too slow. He might have been sacked from a job with a bus company because there is obviously a requirement to get passengers from A to B at a reasonably fast rate and then turn the bus around for the return trip so if you drove too slowly it would eventually be grounds for dismissal.

Itsdacraic Registered User

I regularly encounter a bus on my commute that travels at 60km/ph. It holds up a huge line of traffic and ends up with people getting impatient and trying crazy over taking manouveres

coylemj said:
I can't imagine how you could lose your licence for going too slow because there isn't any offence under the RTA which relates to going too slow. He might have been sacked from a job with a bus company because there is obviously a requirement to get passengers from A to B at a reasonably fast rate and then turn the bus around for the return trip so if you drove too slowly it would eventually be grounds for dismissal.

This was a motoring offence case as Noel Brett mentioned a Garda pulling up the driver, and the driver being banned!

Odd?

Its in this section, close to the start- http://media.todayfm.com/listenback/98/friday/1/popup

foggy_lad Banned

Itsdacraic said:
I regularly encounter a bus on my commute that travels at 60km/ph. It holds up a huge line of traffic and ends up with people getting impatient and trying crazy over taking manouveres

Is it some auld fella driving that thinks he's doing 60mph?

Del2005 Registered User

Going Forward said:
but it seems the driver was penalised for driving a bus carefully.

Your falling for the RSA "Speed Kills" BS. Just because someone is driving slowly doesn't mean they are driving carefully.

My father drives slowly but he's a dangerous driver.

3 people have thanked this post

Very slow drivers can be danerous. Its almos like parking in the middle of the road. You become an obstacle and everyone has to get around you which can be hazardous.

6 people have thanked this post
slimjimmc Registered User

Going Forward said:
Did anyone else hear Noel Brett with Matt Cooper today (16/3/12) mentioning a case where a bus driver lost his license after being pulled up for going too slowly? Seems quite harsh IMO.

He referred to it in response to a texter complaining of being currently stuck behind a caravan somewhere. No mention of the fact that the driver shouldnt have been texting.

I believe Noel Brett may have been referring to the famous case in 2009 of the Mayo farmer who was summoned for failing to pay an on-the-spot fine and was also summoned for not driving with reasonable consideration for other road users as he refused to pull in on his his way home from the mart.
The 12 month ban only applied to his driving a tractor.

He was a part-time bus driver who received a safety award from Bus Éireann, so that's where the bus driver reference come from imo.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6475&Itemid=38

2 people have thanked this post

Del2005 said:
Your falling for the RSA "Speed Kills" BS. Just because someone is driving slowly doesn't mean they are driving carefully.

My father drives slowly but he's a dangerous driver.

So you how do know the guy driving the bus is a careless/dangerous
driver and at the same time you have no knowledge of the case mentioned?

You are jumping to conclusions.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!