Mushy Registered User

Finally got the album. Although I'm only home a few minutes, so it'll take me a while to lsiten to it. Very excited though.

1 person has thanked this post
bnt Registered User

Just got the new Rush yesterday: so far, the title track is doing the most damage to my head. I don't think I've ever heard Rush swing before, but they manage it here. It has a kind of weightless feel to it while still being heavy - a contradiction, I know, but that's what I get from it. Apart from that - like any Rush album, it doesn't lend itself to a quick review.

After spending a solid week listening to it (minimum 3 times a day), i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the best thing they've done since Moving Pictures

galwayrush Registered User

PickledLime said:
After spending a solid week listening to it (minimum 3 times a day), i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the best thing they've done since Moving Pictures

I'll add Permanent Waves and declare the finest 3 albums of their career.
Ill even admit to shedding a tear or two with The Garden...

galwayrush said:
I'll add Permanent Waves and declare the finest 3 albums of their career.
Ill even admit to shedding a tear or two with The Garden...

Ah Permanent Waves, it was my first Rush album and made my jaw hit the floor and me fall in love with them.

They've such a large body of fantastic work (and i'm a huge fan of their prog noodlings) it's hard to say top 3 for myself, but i will say my top 6 albums are 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres, PM, MP, CA.

I'll admit The Garden took me quite a few listens, but it's probably their best ballad now.

RayCon Registered User

348 days til Berlin !!!!!!! woo hooo ....*

* This could be the longest "countdown" ever*

xerces Registered User

Does any hope remain for an Irish show?

grimm2005 Registered User

xerces said:
Does any hope remain for an Irish show?

I've lost hope myself so am going to the London O2 show with a mate!

2 people have thanked this post
RayCon Registered User

PickledLime said:
i'm a huge fan of their prog noodlings

If you like Prog noodlings ... may I recommend Astra ....

3 people have thanked this post
bnt Registered User

Looking at the lyrics, The Anarchist seems like it could stand up to a Death Metal cover version. I don't think I've ever seen such cold anger in Rush lyrics before:

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black
The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage
The things I've always been denied
An early promise that somehow died
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage ...

greendom Registered User

PickledLime said:

I'll admit The Garden took me quite a few listens, but it's probably their best ballad now.

Available Light is better (imo).

As to the album as a whole my initial thoughts are that its on a par with Vapor Trails for me (which I really like). However it doesn't come close to the vast majority of their output. A huge improvement on Snakes and Arrows though. Rush albums do have a tendency to improve the more I listen to them so that opinion could change.

bnt said:
Looking at the lyrics, The Anarchist seems like it could stand up to a Death Metal cover version. I don't think I've ever seen such cold anger in Rush lyrics before:

Far more eloquent than most death metal (and i'm speaking as a massive, massive death metaller).

I think though it fits, moreso than anything they've done, this album is a fictional story. It's a bit of an odd shift considering Peart's lyrical output for the last how many decades, never thought he'd return to this kind of storytelling tbh (my fave song on the album too!).

RayCon said:
If you like Prog noodlings ... may I recommend Astra ....

To the ever evolving and expanding 'to buy' list that goes

RayCon Registered User

PickledLime said:
To the ever evolving and expanding 'to buy' list that goes

Their debut album, The Weirding, is a cracker too ...

Here's the opening track with a pretty excellent Fan-Made video ...

http://youtu.be/aD0HWo0T_xQ

EyesClosed Registered User

My mate just picked me up a ticket for the O2 in London
332 days to go.....

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!