ferike1 Registered User
#16

It was foundation's edge sorry. The main character has to make a choice between technology, galactic symbiosis and something else (kind of hard to explain without reading the books)

Nody Servant of Cthulhu
#17

ferike1 said:
It was foundation's edge sorry. The main character has to make a choice between technology, galactic symbiosis and something else (kind of hard to explain without reading the books)
The person has been guided to a time when there's three choices (below is spoiler of the choice in the book):
Spoiler (Show)

Zillah Registered User
#18

We can stop with the spoiler tags now, right? The whole thread is a spoiler.


Sir Digby Chicken Caesar said:
]you don't take them on and "win" in any honest sense of the word the only thing you can do is lose as best you can. Any kind of happy ending where the alliance is saved, kittens stay kittens forever and everybody gets their own pet asian schoolgirl just wouldn't have made sense and would have been an unbelievable cop out to the masturbatory wants of the fans.


Why? Because you say so? Shepard spends the entire trilogy being told he can't do things and then he does them anyway, he spends the entire series telling people that the reapers are coming and that we're gonna work together to stop them. It is not an unreasonable expectation that we'd work together and stop the reapers without destroying galactic civilisation. Believe it or not but a large percentage of players would find an ending where Shepard wasn't dead or permanently cut-off from all his friends to be perfectly reasonable and satisfying.

That said, I wouldn't mind a dark ending if it made sense or didn't come across and sheer stupidity and bad writing.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer though. I feel like I shouldn't, because those resources could have gone into making an ending that made sense. Grr.

2 people have thanked this post
_CreeD_ Registered User
#19

I think something is being missed here in regards to the Mass Relays being destroyed. In ME1 Sovereign states quite clearly that they created the Mass Relays (and the Citadel) to make sure that all life would develop in a predictable way as part of the Cycle - Relays would be found, civilisations would use them to expand, meet and find the Citadel etc. The Citadel itself would be maintained by the keepers. All of this was designed to hand the universe to the emerging races on a plate, so that they wouldn't question or develop their own means of long range travel and also would come to rely on a system that was ultimately under Reaper control. Destroying the relays was an important part of destroying the cycle, the Catalyst was removing what it saw as a major part of their influence in the cycle of development and destruction. Would it have been easier to accept and ending with it not doing so, sure. But if we are too look at it from the point of view of a synthetic unemotional intelligence it was part of essentially deleting itself from the universe and truly letting the current races look after themselves from now on.

Now we also know that the Protheans had just about unlocked Mass Relay tech (the conduit to the Citadel from ME1) so we know it's in the cards for the current races to develop on their own.

So the way I interpret the ending It's not the end of Galactic civilisation, just a pause.

Edit:
Also, since this has been mentioned a number of times, Shep was not cut off from all of his companions...they were (mostly) there on earth. And since the Normandy wasn't using a relay, just std. FTL, to escape the blastwave they're still within remaining travel distance (and from the timeline just a few minutes away).

Venom Registered User
#20

Zillah said:
We can stop with the spoiler tags now, right? The whole thread is a spoiler.


Why? Because you say so? Shepard spends the entire trilogy being told he can't do things and then he does them anyway, he spends the entire series telling people that the reapers are coming and that we're gonna work together to stop them. It is not an unreasonable expectation that we'd work together and stop the reapers without destroying galactic civilisation. Believe it or not but a large percentage of players would find an ending where Shepard wasn't dead or permanently cut-off from all his friends to be perfectly reasonable and satisfying.

That said, I wouldn't mind a dark ending if it made sense or didn't come across and sheer stupidity and bad writing.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer though. I feel like I shouldn't, because those resources could have gone into making an ending that made sense. Grr.



I don't think its even a case of Sheppard dying if such an event was handled right like the fates of some of the game characters but more the fact of the stupid
Spoiler (Show)
that's introduced out of ****ing nowhere in the last 10 minutes of the game

The whole
Spoiler (Show)
is just a pathetic piece of story telling and when some of the writers involved in the game go out of there way with tweets stating they hand no part in the ending you know there is a problem in Bioware or to be honest EA.

ferike1 Registered User
#21

Nice to see someone else has read the foundation books. It was years ago to be fair for me!
Shame that the choices we made up to then were sort of arbitrary.

bizmark Registered User
#22

ferike1 said:
Like I said, read Asimov's foundation series. Ending is pretty damn similar to that.


I wasn't play asimovs foundation 3 though i was playing mass effect 3 a game i put 30 hours into and a combined maybe 120 over the last few years and there's no other way to say it this ending is a massive kick in the balls. Every thing you fight for is gone every one you know is gone im fairly sure tali and garrus were killed off screen by a ****ing reaper which pissed me off it boiled down to "glactic butt plug guys stick it in to the citidal anus it will do something!" which was wakeing up child god to tell us all ai based life forms will wipe out organic based life forms even though theres a AI standing right there with me the bloody geth are outside fighting on our side the only ai based life killing organics is the one child god unleased all this could of been solved if he looked out the fecking window and had a moment of self reflection .

The whole ai vrs organic premise of the ending is bizarre during the game its the ai/synthetic life which came across as the most likable EDI is by far the most interesting character shes funny shows no hint of anything but wanting to help shes as human as any of the other people on the ship even being in love with joker in the end which the humans had no issue with this relationship either.
Then theres legion who i was oddly proud of for his sacrifice of the 3 deaths in the game his is the only one that ment anything his story and that of the geth was the only story in the game i was invested in so much that after seeing how they were treated and how they were still being viewed i seriously considered letting them wipe out the quarians but in the end the geth decided to work together with their "creators" rather than hold it against them theres nothing in the whole side story of the geth that shows them as future murder bots which diminished the end even more.

On top of that the reapers were just used wrong its not scary to see 2 km tall insect starships walk around in the back when theres 7000 of them its much much better to have 1 or 2 run around with their intimidating voices seeming invincible they didnt even talk to us once in the whole game all they do is blare a horn was no harbinger to tell us we are doomed no nothing i dont understand this oversight.

in the end it feels like the equiv of watching say star trek and the end episode is every federation ship warp drives randomly popping off and explodeing picard/who ever jumping into a god machine and dieing because v0v why not all civilization ceseing to exist the decisions you seen for the last 120 episodes not just no longer mattering but never really mattering at all as the ending takes into account nothing that happened and we are ment to feel better about it because "well guys the borg arent here now so i guess thats ok right!"

Bleh i feel so cheated on this ending damages my whole over arching opinion of the series

_CreeD_ Registered User
#23

bizmark said:
.....

in the end it feels like the equiv of watching say star trek and the end episode is every federation ship warp drives randomly popping off and explodeing picard/who ever jumping into a god machine and dieing because v0v why not all civilization ceseing to exist all decisions you seen for the last 120 episodes not just no longer mattering but never really mattering at all because the ending takes into account nothing that happened and we are ment to feel better about it because "well guys the borg arent here now so i guess thats ok right!"

Bleh i feel so cheated on this ending damages my whole over arching opinion of the series


Calm down...breathe....recover coherence I think there are some decent points in there, still deciphering.

1 person has thanked this post
chrislad Registered User
#24

While I don't have any massive issues with the ending (and truth be told, there really is nothing to prevent Shepard from being alive, even with the synthesis ending), I have more of an issue with the lack of closure.

Garrus, Liara, Tali - just f'ed off somewhere? Seriously? No closure on them or with Wrex, Grunt or any characters other than EDI, Joker and Ashley (who is a sore point, as I spurned 3 advances (Liara, English Chick and Reporter) to stick with her from ME1 and all I got was a hangover scene with her!)

What is bugging me is the last image from the game, and I quote....

Commander Shepard has become a legend by ending the Reaper threat. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content


Unless it's free, and I barely got 23 hours of the game compared to ME1 and ME2 and I did everything, I will not be impressed. I'll probably buy it, but I won't be happy about it!

Zillah Registered User
#25

_CreeD_ said:
I think something is being missed here in regards to the Mass Relays being destroyed. In ME1 Sovereign states quite clearly that they created the Mass Relays (and the Citadel) to make sure that all life would develop in a predictable way as part of the Cycle - Relays would be found, civilisations would use them to expand, meet and find the Citadel etc. The Citadel itself would be maintained by the keepers. All of this was designed to hand the universe to the emerging races on a plate, so that they wouldn't question or develop their own means of long range travel and also would come to rely on a system that was ultimately under Reaper control. Destroying the relays was an important part of destroying the cycle, the Catalyst was removing what it saw as a major part of their influence in the cycle of development and destruction. Would it have been easier to accept and ending with it not doing so, sure. But if we are too look at it from the point of view of a synthetic unemotional intelligence it was part of essentially deleting itself from the universe and truly letting the current races look after themselves from now on.

Now we also know that the Protheans had just about unlocked Mass Relay tech (the conduit to the Citadel from ME1) so we know it's in the cards for the current races to develop on their own.

So the way I interpret the ending It's not the end of Galactic civilisation, just a pause.


These are all nice in-game ways that could manage to rationalise some of the events at the end of the story. It doesn't change the fact that 98% of players thought the ending was terrible and should have been different.

Anyway, with the reapers either dead, merged or controlled there is no cycle any more, so leaving the relays in place doesn't matter.


Also, since this has been mentioned a number of times, Shep was not cut off from all of his companions...they were (mostly) there on earth. And since the Normandy wasn't using a relay, just std. FTL, to escape the blastwave they're still within remaining travel distance (and from the timeline just a few minutes away).


They land on a jungle planet that is not Earth, which mean they reached another solar system, which means they used a relay. The ambiguity of why the hell the normandy was making a relay jump, how your party got on board and where the hell they ended up is just another item in the list of stupid things at the end of Mass Effect 3.

bizmark Registered User
#26

_CreeD_ said:
Calm down...breathe....recover coherence I think there are some decent points in there, still deciphering.


I tryed to clean it up but im not the most naturaly coherent guy in the world

AnCapaillMor Registered User
#27

Venom said:
I don't think its even a case of Sheppard dying if such an event was handled right like the fates of some of the game characters but more the fact of the stupid
Spoiler (Show)
that's introduced out of ****ing nowhere in the last 10 minutes of the game



The DLC dude mentions something being before and behind the reapers and nothing more was said on it[\spoilers]

Loved the game, there seemed to be more main story related missions than the others. however the end pissed me off.

Spoiler (Show)

LostBoy101 Registered User
#28

The most weirdest ending to a great game as

Spoiler (Show)
but I really enjoyed the series and if Bioware ever release something like this again I will definitely buy it.

_CreeD_ Registered User
#29

Zillah said:
T
They land on a jungle planet that is not Earth, which mean they reached another solar system, which means they used a relay. The ambiguity of why the hell the normandy was making a relay jump, how your party got on board and where the hell they ended up is just another item in the list of stupid things at the end of Mass Effect 3.


Actually, Nope. Relays are between large areas, clusters not between solar systems. It's all over the game, you use a relay to get to X cluster and then FTL between solar systems within that cluster. They simply crashed on another planet in another solar system of the Local cluster.
This is getting pedantic now, and I'm not trying to use it to undermine your other points but it backs up my point that a lot of the angst over the endings is down to ignoring some aspects of the gaming universe (rather than outright hating the intended concept).

Temptamperu Registered User
#30

It gave an end to all the stories I had built up over the last few years and did it very well, for me anyway. I cant see how else it could of going but it tied everything up nicely again for me.

Spoiler (Show)

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!