Tomk1 Registered User

Infinity
www.imdb.com/title/tt0116635/
The early life of Richard Feynman, played by Mattew Broderick, only saw it once and just wow.

Roar Registered User

Last Action Hero. At one point there's a movie within a movie within a movie. Far out.

2 people have thanked this post
CricketDude Registered User

The man from Earth

Bodhidharma Registered User

krudler said:
The Tree Of Life, you'll either love it or hate it though.

The Fountain, well worth a watch, the music is incredible too.

We park our car in the same garage, these are the first two that came to mind. Though I would add The Thin Red Line, I Heart Huckabees and 2001: A Space Odyssey to that list.

nyarlothothep Registered User

Roar said:
Last Action Hero. At one point there's a movie within a movie within a movie. Far out.

It really makes you question the reality you live in. It was The Matrix before the Matrix. Same for Total Recall. I'll add Conan the Barbarian (1982) to the list. Its a very deep film beneath the fantasy action with sword weilding musle man exterior. And it has the biggest fck off epic score of any film ever made.

Pi FTW.Awesome,mind bending stuff.

bnt Registered User

Two films that made me think about life, death, questions of motivation (why do we ever do anything?), and more, but go about it in very different ways:
- The Accidental Tourist starts with the death of a child, and shows the lives of those affected by the tragedy afterwards, and how they manage to put things back together, eventually.
- The Ice Storm, on the other hand, is about life before the death of a child; the various little failures, moral and practical, that set a tragic chain of events in motion.

It only just occurred to me that both films involve the death of a child, but aren't really about that. Instead, I think it's about how such a tragedy makes the characters rethink their lives - and that rubbed off on me, a little.

Sinfonia Registered User

ahwelltryagain said:
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

On top of others mentioned, try some more Charlie Kaufman!

Being John Malkovich
Adaptation.
Synecdoche, New York

I'd recommend watching them in that order too: BJM to get you used to his mind, Adaptation.to get you used to his meta-ness (is that a word?); by then the ultra-mega-meta SNY should be less confusing

(I haven't yet watched Human Nature or Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, so can't comment on them, maybe someone else can...)

4 people have thanked this post
henryporter Registered User

Plenty of movies out there to stimulate the mind:
Short cuts by Robert Altman,
Paris Texas by Wim Wenders,
Fitzcarraldo by Werner Herzog
Melancholia by Lars von Trier
Moon by Duncan Jones
Russian Ark by Alexandr Sukotov
My Architect by Nathaniel Kahn

goose2005 Registered User

For a real mind-bender, see "Meshes of the Afternoon" - it's only 15 mins. and well worth it.

DrumSteve Registered User

Dead mans shoes by shane meadows... I cant explain why it did. It just did.

Same with the fountain. brilliant film.

1 person has thanked this post
sxt Registered User

Michael Haneke as already mentioned .I read this blog about the film "Cache" recently , where I never saw so many hundreds of different interpretations to the films many questions! Trying to find this blog now!

David Lynch is a Master of this art as well ! ..

Thirteen Conversations About One Thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Conversations_About_One_Thing

Similar to films such as Magnolia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_(film)

Deep, but not 'Bergman' deep.

Alan Arkin (as always) is fantastic in it.

1 person has thanked this post
ahwelltryagain Registered User

Sweeeet! Thanks for all those great suggestions! That's exactly the mindset I was going for! I kid you not, I will endevour to make my way through at least half of these in the coming months *takes notes* mucho's appreciatos! =)

WoollyRedHat Registered User

bnt said:
Two films that made me think about life, death, questions of motivation (why do we ever do anything?), and more, but go about it in very different ways:
- The Accidental Tourist starts with the death of a child, and shows the lives of those affected by the tragedy afterwards, and how they manage to put things back together, eventually.
- The Ice Storm, on the other hand, is about life before the death of a child; the various little failures, moral and practical, that set a tragic chain of events in motion.

It only just occurred to me that both films involve the death of a child, but aren't really about that. Instead, I think it's about how such a tragedy makes the characters rethink their lives - and that rubbed off on me, a little.

The Ice Storm is a beautiful, magnificent film, that very little bad can be said about it.

I'll throw in Lost in Translation to boot, made me really think , and was more than just entertainment but a social commentary in a simple but beautiful level.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!