#46

marty1985 said:
That's an interesting POV, that by practicing their faith - attending Mass is integral to the faith - all Catholics are guilty. Here, anti-Church sentiment leads naturally to contempt for practicing Catholics. That was a comment worth noting, because what flows logically from it is very disturbing.


You don't understand. What I'm trying to say is attending Mass is a show of support for the Church, and organisation that unashamedly hid paedophiles and rapists. Many find this baffling.

1 person has thanked this post
Hazys Registered User
#47

These holier than thou ignorant Atheists, should take a leaf out of Louis CK's book and try and learn about the Church instead of making childish jokes about people's beliefs:

4 people have thanked this post
marty1985 Registered User
#48

I addressed this in my short post, any attempt to say Mass is not integral to Catholic faith is being deliberately disingenuous. I only highlighted your post because it was an interesting comment, but a disturbing one.

#49

ItsAWindUp said:

You don't understand. What I'm trying to say is attending Mass is a show of support for the Church, and organisation that unashamedly hid paedophiles and rapists. Many find this baffling.


I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups - and most practising Catholics I know would have difficulty containing their anger at those responsible, particularly at the top, when the subject comes up. However, they would also feel that the church is as much them as it is the Pope and the bishops, and the don't see why they should be pushed out. Also, many would attend as they would like and respect their priest. The Vatican and the bishops don't own the Church - they may think they do though.

1 person has thanked this post
#50

Benny_Cake said:
I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups - and most practising Catholics I know would have difficulty containing their anger at those responsible, particularly at the top, when the subject comes up. However, they would also feel that the church is as much them as it is the Pope and the bishops, and the don't see why they should be pushed out. Also, many would attend as they would like and respect their priest. The Vatican and the bishops don't own the Church - they may think they do though.


It can't have disgusted and dismayed them that much if they continue to support the organisation!

KeithAFC Banned
#51

It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.

2 people have thanked this post
My name is URL Registered User
#52

KeithAFC said:
It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.


Stop trying to convert people Keith, it's rude!

#53

Benny_Cake said:
I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups - and most practising Catholics I know would have difficulty containing their anger at those responsible, particularly at the top, when the subject comes up. However, they would also feel that the church is as much them as it is the Pope and the bishops, and the don't see why they should be pushed out. Also, many would attend as they would like and respect their priest. The Vatican and the bishops don't own the Church - they may think they do though.


It can't have disgusted and dismayed them that much if they continue to support the organisation!


What I am saying is that they aren't supporting the organisation, they are practising their faith and living it within the local parish. For example, someone could attend Mass, make a donation to the priests of the parish, and withold a contributions to diocesan funds. It is difficult to see how such a person is "supporting the organisation". Are you suggesting that individuals with a strong faith don't have the right to practice it because of the criminal acts of some of the clergy?

2 people have thanked this post
forfuxsake Registered User
#54

Benny_Cake said:
I think that most who attend Mass would rightly be disgusted and dismayed by the abuse scandals and the cover ups


the rest, however, think the little buggers had it coming (if you'll pardon the pun)

forfuxsake Registered User
#55

KeithAFC said:
It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.


Because replacing one load of imaginary friends with another is futile. Why not start throwing virgins into Etna to see if it will address the debt crisis?

1 person has thanked this post
KeithAFC Banned
#56

forfuxsake said:
Because replacing one load of imaginary friends with another is futile. Why not start throwing virgins into Etna to see if it will address the debt crisis?

I was putting that option to people of the Catholic faith.

#57

KeithAFC said:
It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant?


There aren't free from scandals either, they have have own high profile abuse cases

#58

Catholic Church's Eucharistic Congress 2012.


Is this a bit like the Golden Clerics or something?

1 person has thanked this post
#59

forfuxsake said:

the rest, however, think the little buggers had it coming (if you'll pardon the pun)


It pains me to say it, but there is a small minority who think that the whole thing is blown out of all proportion, or that we shouldn't be talking about it because non-Catholics abuse children too. I prefer not to discuss it with them because it's pointless, and lets face it, f**k them.

#60

thewintermute said:
These chaps are a lot more fun www.ukeristiccongress.com In Whelans Front Bar every second Saturday (Tomorrow) 7pm - 9pm


You also enjoy twiddling with small instruments?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!