Mark Hamill Registered User

dubsontour said:

On the Quorn thing, been eating it for years and no problem... But am a bit disturbed with the word " mould"..

Why? Penicillin is mold. Yeast is mold. Mushrooms are related to mold, all fungi are.

1 person has thanked this post
RussellTuring Registered User

blatantrereg said:

I dont think Quorrn is a competitor with meat anyway.

You obviously haven't seen this then:

It's a clear attempt by Quorn to target meat-eaters with their products by using the health angle. I'm not convinced there's a conspiracy against them beyond what meat producers would already have against meat alternatives but it does demonstrate the fact that competition happens.

dubsontour Registered User

Mark Hamill said:
Why? Penicillin is mold. Yeast is mold. Mushrooms are related to mold, all fungi are.

Ah I know but you ( or rather I) don't really think about the rest..

Tar.Aldarion /flails limbs

While there may be no super secret meat conspiracy on that site :-p I seem to remember reading that meat-eaters are the main market for quorn, I certainly know of a lit that eat it sometimes, be it for perceived health or because it is faster/easier to make. I don;t know if they would be in the shop here at all if only veggies ate it?

Slaphead07 Registered User

Tar.Aldarion said:
I seem to remember reading that meat-eaters are the main market for quorn

AFAIK initially that was the case, in it's earliest form, circa 1960, it was developed to be a new wonderfood that would feed the starving millions of the world. Obviously that didn't happen and it was sometime later ('80s?) that it was marketed as a vegetarian food. Obviously their advertising will target meat eaters too, they'd be mad not to, but it seems equally obvious that their main market is, and will remain, us veggies. Either way I'm happy!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!