OddOneOut Registered User

Hello,

This is my first post (nervous cough ).

Anyway, I'm am just putting the feelers out as have been thinking of starting a social group in Cork for other child free people in thier 30's.

A bit about me:
I am 33, female and although I have a great group of friends I have slowly over the past few years become the 'Odd one out' as I seem to be the only one without children. (This is by choice).

As much as I love my friends, it has come to the stage where it is almost impossible to have an uninterupted cup of coffee / chat with any of them. Worse, if there is a group of us together I find myself having to sit listening to conversations about nappy rash / breastfeeding / childminders etc.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat - I am not holding any of this against my friends. I fully understand that obviously when you have a baby this takes over your whole life, at least for the first few years and it is important to talk to other mothers about different issues.
I just miss the old days when we could hang out and talk about a range of subjects or do anything remotely spontaneeous without them having to arrange babysitters at least a week in advance.

I'm just wondering if there are any other women out there who feel the same and would be interested in maybe getting together as a social group?
Men - more than welcome also. Is it the same for child free men or do you even notice a difference among your friends???

Anyone interested in a meet up in Cork city please let me know - if nothing else perhaps it will start an interesting discussion here!

Thanks.

1 person has thanked this post
Owen Registered User

Yup, 30 odd here, little or no interest in having kids. I'm just not the paternal type!

Me, with kids?

Bahahahahaa.

Nope.

Great idea though, hope it works out

lukin Registered User

Me?Children?Sure I've hardly been born myself!

RoverJames Banned

I'd love to have kids when I grow up, not ready at the moment, I struggle to look after myself tbh, not a great way to be but such is life............ I'm 31

sok2005 Registered User

What if you meet up and end up hooking up with each other, by chance, one gets pregnant, are you then removed from the group?!?

3 people have thanked this post
MrFrisp Registered User

I'm in My mid-40's.....Have 4 kids...

Banned from the Group even before it forms..

Malari Registered User

By chance all my friends are also childfree. I'm not friends with them because they are childfree Is that enough to have something in common?

sok2005 Registered User

You find yourself having to sit listening to conversations about nappy rash / breastfeeding / childminders etc.

I find myself having to sit listening to conversations about ridiculous nights out / men not calling women back after a date / wasting money on completely useless stuff etc but I still wouldn't turn my back on my friends just because they are at a different life stage.

The childless and the childrearing can unite! There's enough segregation in the world!

Any chance of getting a spot of babysitting from ya?

MrFrisp Registered User

sok2005 said:
You find yourself having to sit listening to conversations about nappy rash / breastfeeding / childminders etc.

I find myself having to sit listening to conversations about ridiculous nights out / men not calling women back after a date / wasting money on completely useless stuff etc but I still wouldn't turn my back on my friends just because they are at a different life stage.

The childless and the childrearing can unite! There's enough segregation in the world!

Any chance of getting a spot of babysitting from ya?

Babysitting?

From Moi?

2 people have thanked this post
OddOneOut Registered User

sok2005 said:

I'm not turning my back on my friends either - expanding your social group does not mean disregarding your existing friends. Having peers is an important aspect of any society, hence the formation of social groups who share common interests / lifestyles.

Also, the childrearing and the childfree (I hate the term 'childless' - it suggest something is missing from your life that should be there) can certainly unite - they do so everyday. No one calls it segregation when parents groups are formed.

As I said, I'm just putting the feelers out to see if there are people out there interested in something like this - if not it's no big deal. I won't be forcing anyone into anything or declaring war on parents or anything !

Knasher Registered User

SexyGuy said:
Banned from the Group even before it forms..

I was going to make a Simpsons reference to the No Homers Club, but I have a feeling it would backfire on me with your username.

MrFrisp Registered User

Knasher said:
I was going to make a Simpsons reference to the No Homers Club, but I have a feeling it would backfire on me with your username.

Give it a lash..

We're here for the fun..

quietsailor Registered User

35 and childless. All my friends keep telling me I don't know what I'm missing - I wonder have they looked in a mirror lately at the bags under their eyes

I'd be game to meet up, it'd be like a motors meet or a Cork city meet (Still haven't gotten to one of those though ) so nothing new for boards - introducing random groups of strangers.

What do you think OP/folks, anyone up for meeting some day/night?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!