Branoic Registered User

Hi,

A friend of mine was asking me some stuff about iPads as she was thinking of getting one, and there was one thing I wasn't 100% on so just wanted to check with you guys.

She lives up in the mountains in no-man's-land as far as conventional wired broadband goes, so she uses one of those 3G broadband solutions - I'm not very familiar with them.

She was asking then if that meant that she would have to get a wifi & 3G iPad for it to be able to work at home. I would assume not, as I guess her 3G broadband creates a wireless network in the home which a wifi-only iPad could connect to as normal?

guil Registered User

The broadband she has is more then likely just a USB dongle so has no way of creating an access point. Depending what network she is with she could get a mifi. It's basically a 3G wireless acces point

1 person has thanked this post
Branoic Registered User

guil said:
The broadband she has is more then likely just a USB dongle so has no way of creating an access point. Depending what network she is with she could get a mifi. It's basically a 3G wireless acces point

Thanks. When I asked her if she had a home network off the 3G broadband she said she could connect up to 5 devices to it - so is that more mifi than dongle?

dodzy Registered User

Branoic said:
Thanks. When I asked her if she had a home network off the 3G broadband she said she could connect up to 5 devices to it - so is that more mifi than dongle?
Yep, spot on.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!