Dannysaurus Registered User
#16

Apologies, looks like that only applies to desktop processors. Was unable to verify that on laptops since being on le iPhone = pain :L

#17

Dannysaurus said:
Apologies, looks like that only applies to desktop processors. Was unable to verify that on laptops since being on le iPhone = pain :L

James. Registered User
#18

Dell Inspiron i5. Comes with 2nd gen core i5, 4gig ram and a 640 gig hard drive.

hard to beat that for value for money and it has a hdmi port

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056568471

uberalles Registered User
#19

Lenovo are a way better than dells. Lenovo thinkpads are licenced by IBM. Excellent support as well. No 1 laptops IMO. Toshiba second. Dells are very hit and miss from my bad experience

dusf Registered User
#20

Hello all,

Thank you for all the informative replies!

James. said:
Dell Inspiron i5. Comes with 2nd gen core i5, 4gig ram and a 640 gig hard drive. Its 549e but if you use a 10% discount code it comes to around 494e.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/popular-laptop-deals.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Discount code is 8LRVZ880D525CP.

free shipping

found that link in this thread with thanks to joni23 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564819


I still have to have another look over them all this afternoon to make sure but I think the Dell i5 James linked is the winner on value for money so far, once my Mom agrees of course. I just wish Dell did theft insurance as well as accidental damage like PC World. Maybe it could be gotten for a good price from a third party?

James. Registered User
#21

dusf,

if you do decide on the dell try going through fatchesse, TheDriver posted about it on the other thread and you could save another 3 % bringing the cost down to 479 euro - a real bargain for an i5 laptop

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/dell-ie/

1 person has thanked this post
dusf Registered User
#22

James. said:
dusf,

if you do decide on the dell try going through fatchesse, TheDriver posted about it on the other thread and you could save another 3 % bringing the cost down to 479 euro - a real bargain for an i5 laptop

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/dell-ie/


_AVALANCHE_ said:
Not in the Laptops.

Only real difference in i3 and i5 is Turbo.


Dannysaurus said:
Yes, but don't forget that the i3 has hyper threading while the i5 does not. Then again, I'm not too sure if that applies to laptops.


We're a bit confused on whether or not the i5 is worth getting over the i3 in a laptop?

#23

dusf said:
We're a bit confused on whether or not the i5 is worth getting over the i3 in a laptop?


Not at any cost, also make sure it's a 2nd Gen Core iX (four digits after the hyphen) and not some older model in a stock clearance sale (which of course can be bargains too).

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!