Robin 2012 Registered User

Hi,

Im new to this but I said Ill give it ago. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows alot about coolock village and surronding areas as im looking for an area called Shrubs but as far as I know its not called that any more. On my grandmothers birth cert (1916) it has an address of Shrubs Lodge Coolock but cant find where it was nor can I find any pictures from around that time of the area. Iv traced a lot of the family which I found on the census as well.

Any help or info would be great. Thanks guys

Robin

Hermy Registered User
1 person has thanked this post
shanew Registered User

Shrubs is a townland of about 79 acres, located in the civil parish of Coolock.

Townland database : www.seanruad.com

Shane

shanew Registered User

Shrubs townland and House on the OSI Map ...

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,718332,740370,6,7
(1st edition map)

a couple of Lodges are shown nearby on the slightly later OSI maps - c1890

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,718612,740481,7,9

Shane

Hermy Registered User
Jellybaby1 Registered User

I have no particular interest in Shrubs in Coolock. But I did enjoy watching everyone's detective skills coming into play, which happens regularly in the Genealogy forum. Well done all!

4 people have thanked this post
Hermy Registered User

Me too Jellybaby. Though Shane is the real detective. I'm only learning.

Jellybaby1 Registered User

Hermy said:
Me too Jellybaby. Though Shane is the real detective. I'm only learning.

Me too.

P. Breathnach Registered User

Shane would probably also say (but for the fact that I am now forestalling him) that he is only learning.

He's quite a few pages further into the book than most of us.

shanew Registered User

there's always more to learn!

There's no magic to finding a location - if it's not a street name, or a recognizable town, then it's likely one of the c65,000 townlands. The place to start is always the townland database. The spellings can vary a bit over time so you sometimes have to try a few variations to get your match.

Registrations were supposed to take place in the district they took place in and you can use this to narrow down the list. Helpful for birth and deaths, and residences of brides for marriages - but not necessarily for grooms.. Registration Districts are generally the same as Poor Law Unions, or PLUs, that's how they are listed on the townland database.

Google and OSI modern maps often show townlands but they dont always search correctly, and they dont include those for areas that are now urban - like Shrubs. One way that's worth trying on google maps is to start with a larger nearby location - e.g. the town the Reg. District is based in, or the name of the civil parish (often the name of a townland or town), and then search from there. A trip search from a nearby location often works when a more general may not.. or lead you to the wrong place.

To find a townland's location on the OSI maps - zoom in to the approximate location based on civil parish or Reg. District town, select the 6" colour map and browse for the correct civil parish - borders shown in green. Then zoom in further and check the townland names - borders in red.

It's worth double checking the area of the townland you find vs the database entry as there are duplicates with the same name - so it's possible to pick up the wrong Kilbride for example...

S.

2 people have thanked this post

hi all that was very quick haha thanks very much the maps are brill. my G.G. granfather was a black smith and found them on the census is there any way of "converting" the address into an address that it might be today dont know if that makes sense to you's.
"Residents of a house 15 in Coolock (Coolock, Dublin) (1901)" Patrick walsh http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Coolock/Coolock/1271617/
As he was a blacksmith id say they had a bit of money but can or how do you find where the property was?
Thanks again guys
Robin

i want to show yous something how do i upload a picture????

Hermy Registered User

From Newbies and FAQ's:

10. How can I insert pictures in my posts?
This is also very easy to do, and very similar to number 9 above:

You don't have to have anything written in the Message box to embed a picture. Text can be entered before or after you insert a picture into your post
Click the little square yellow box with tiny mountains in the foreground. It looks like this:
In the box that says "Please enter the URL of your image:", paste in the URL of the picture you want to embed in your post, and click OK

shanew Registered User

The Walsh family are at Coolock townland, to the east of Shrubs and where Coolock village is located. There's a 'Smithy' marked on the c1907 OSI map, just to the east of the main street that could have been your guy - see :

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,719632,739161,7,9

Shane

P. Breathnach Registered User

I googled on "forge coolock" and found a modern commercial premises on Beechpark Avenue, no great distance from the smithy Shane found. It's possible, but I don't think it probable, that there was more than one forge in Coolock.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!