tk123 Registered User

I was expecting to scroll down and see that he was ok! Poor dog and poor OP

jayteecork Banned

I stumbled on this thread by accident and now I'm very sad for you and your dog

wetdogsmell Registered User

border terriers were originaly for hunting badgers and foxes. badgers will run if they can rather than stand and fight. as for snares, they irish goverment sets snares every year to control badgers and tb, a much crueler death than shooting them (which you would be jailed for) its just cheap and effective

tazwaz Registered User

Bishmilla said:
Poor little guy didn't make it, i'm heartbroken.

Homer, didn't know such a horrible device even existed. Please pm me the number of your wildlife service contact and I'll contact them myself.

oh god that's awful news. you poor thing, it must have been an awful shock to you.

barbiegirl Registered User

Really sorry for you and your family OP. I'll be keeping a good eye on my two for this when we're out off leash

Darkginger Registered User

So sorry to hear the news. I can only imagine how awful you're feeling right now, and know there's not much anyone can say to make that any better - but just wanted to offer a virtual hug.

1 person has thanked this post
Birdnuts Registered User

wetdogsmell said:
border terriers were originaly for hunting badgers and foxes. badgers will run if they can rather than stand and fight. as for snares, they irish goverment sets snares every year to control badgers and tb, a much crueler death than shooting them (which you would be jailed for) its just cheap and effective

Yes - TB culls are carried out by government licenced persons. Otherwise the species is fully protected.

Very sorry to hear about your poor dog passing,it's not easy when you lose a pet.
My sincere good wishes for you during such a crap time.

wetdogsmell said:

A badger in a snare is a terrible sight. They basically tear themselves apart trying to get free. I saw one in a snare beside a ditch, they had the ditch dug out around the snare.

wetdogsmell Registered User

Traonach said:
A badger in a snare is a terrible sight. They basically tear themselves apart trying to get free. I saw one in a snare beside a ditch, they had the ditch dug out around the snare.

that was my point, it could take days to die, theirs kinder ways of culling them, but none as cheap, thats why there used

callmekenneth Registered User

ah that's a shame sorry to hear it

notsobusy said:
I'm not badger bashing! I like badgers but it killed my dog seemingly unprovoked. It's a wild animal, they are unpredictable. As I said it was probably a female protecting her earth!

And walking on a neighbours farm recently I picked up a badger snare, unsnared and I told the farmer and he said he had picked up one a few weeks before that. I can't tolerate things like that at all. But do not tell me not to badger bash!!!!

Eh, your dog was hunting... (as stated in your first post).
Those are the hazards of hunting!

I'd say your dog should pull through though if he/she gets the correct treatment, which it sounds like he/she is!

Discodog Registered User

I have rescued a lot of injured Badgers & been with them in the wild. I have spent many hours, during the night, close to Badger sets even when young are around. They never attacked unless provoked. Even then their standard defence is to charge at whatever is threatening them. Whenever this happened with my own dogs it wasn't a problem because the dog ran away. However if the dog is of a breed with a hunting instinct or has been encouraged to hunt then it may hold it's ground & seek a confrontation that it will lose.

It is dreadful that we deem snaring to be a cruel death & then justify it on the grounds that it is cheaper than vaccination.

Noopti Registered User

Solair said:
Eh, your dog was hunting... (as stated in your first post).
Those are the hazards of hunting!

I'd say your dog should pull through though if he/she gets the correct treatment, which it sounds like he/she is!

A. The person you are responding to is not the OP
B. The OP's dog actually didn't pull through in the end.

1 person has thanked this post
Bishmilla Registered User

Thanks for all your kind words. Miss the little guy so much, I just can't believe he is gone. Feeling so sad and horribly guilty about the whole thing.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!