bonzodog2 Registered User

EnterNow said:
A bog standard relay should do that...I think.

I don't think a 2v signal from a pin on the RPi would drive a relay, even if you could find a 2V relay. You'd probably need some little bit of circuitry with a transistor to drive it.

1 person has thanked this post

bonzodog2 said:
I don't think a 2v signal from a pin on the RPi would drive a relay, even if you could find a 2V relay. You'd probably need some little bit of circuitry with a transistor to drive it.

Yeah your right, 2v prob wouldn't drive the relay to open.

Something like this might be useful for the front garden:

(Invalid youtube)

11 people have thanked this post
Fysh Moderator

Now that the main Raspberry Pi site and forum are back up, I'm looking around for ideas of what to do with the bunch of Pis I'm planning on ordering.

The discussion here about using them to build a small cluster is pretty interesting. I mean, I know that something at non-gigabit ethernet will have limited real-world applications, but even so - in the same way I hope to learn about building networks using a handful of these things, I'm sure there's a lot I could learn about cluster design and implementation with them.

Redisle Registered User

Think I am going to use one for a car computer. The only issue I have is the video quality from the composite output since hdmi screens are generally very expensive. I'm going to get a cheap 4.3" lcd from ebay along with a 4.3" resistive digitizer and build my own touchscreen lcd (using a microcontroller of some kind). Should be a good project.

I also plan on using one for some home automation as mentioned by others already. Not sure I will go with one of those gertboards, thinking more along the lines of this or this. These are nice relay boards and just require a 5V logic signal to activate a relay. Considering there are 8+ free GPIO pins on the pi it could easily switch 8 large AC loads with that 8 channel board.

cookie1977 Registered User

Just got a code today to allow me to order one. Now I have to wait (im) patiently for up to 3 weeks

Fysh Moderator

cookie1977 said:
Just got a code today to allow me to order one. Now I have to wait (im) patiently for up to 3 weeks

Me too Order placed, next thing is to decide what to do with this one in advance of getting 4 or 5 more and building a Bramble.

I'm going to (try ) let my son play with it . Maybe get him to build a lego case for it and go from there

imitation Registered User

I'm looking at the PI as a kind of cheap always on server for my home. It meets the main criteria in that its got a low power draw (2-3w instead of 200w that my PC can hog).

I was hoping to use it as a DNLA Server, a VPN/Hamachi springboard to remote onto my home network and as an email forwarding server of some sort for IP security cameras.

I may also try and get really fancy and do some smart home stuff if I can get IP temperature probes and watt meters cheaply. Fire in a SQL database and you have a very interesting home historian.

2 people have thanked this post
Khannie Make your dreams happen

Mine just arrived in the last few minutes. Nom nom nom. I'll decide what to use it for once I see what it's capable of.

vibe666 Registered User

Something like this might be useful for the front garden:

[YOU/TUBE]6QcfZGDvHU8#t=201sthat's why you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

I want one, I'm in Dublin & registered interest on farnell & radionics only today. How long will it take me to get a code, any ideas?!?

One of these will go great with my arduino, I've no idea how but it'll be fun figuring it out

whitesands said:
I want one, I'm in Dublin & registered interest on farnell & radionics only today. How long will it take me to get a code, any ideas?!?

One of these will go great with my arduino, I've no idea how but it'll be fun figuring it out

Not sure but I registered my interest on the same site on Feb 29th and got the code today. If production improves You might get one quicker.

2 people have thanked this post
bittihuduga Registered User

is registering interest and actual ordering - different?
i had ordered on feb 29th evening but my order still says processing.

bittihuduga said:
is registering interest and actual ordering - different?
i had ordered on feb 29th evening but my order still says processing.

Registering interest is different from ordering. If you ordered then you entered credit card details or used paypal. Did you do this?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!