jiminho Registered User

Hey all,

Anyone ever been to the Working Abroad Expo at the RDS before? Is there any point in going to get information about potential job offerings or potential in my job area?

canadia Registered User

I went to it about 2 years ago. I don't have a degree, I'm not on the skills list and I am over 30 so working/hol visa to Oz/NZ is out. I am upskilling at the mo to find my own way out of here!!
The people with stands are mostly from visa companies, you pay them to apply on your behalf. It was ok, got lots of free pens but no visa
If you're not in a trade or on skills list for canada or Oz then it'll really just be a day out - but that's just my opinion! If it's not hassle to get to you could head along just to get info on lifestyles in each country - I was thinking Oz before we went to it but changed to Canada then afterwards!
If u are on skills list for a country then head along, they will be falling over themselves to talk to you

1 person has thanked this post
tosh_2006 Registered User

i was thinking about going till i seen canadia reply now i was thinking about heading to canada on the IEC 2012

Coll79 Registered User

^I know, i was going to go along too, way to crush the dreams canadia! Thought it was my ticket out of here.

I'm also over 30 with no specific trade as i was with the same company for over 10 years until it went tits up.

They should really just say its for out of work Tradesmen or college graduates. Depressing.

jiminho Registered User

canadia said:
I went to it about 2 years ago. I don't have a degree, I'm not on the skills list and I am over 30 so working/hol visa to Oz/NZ is out. I am upskilling at the mo to find my own way out of here!!
The people with stands are mostly from visa companies, you pay them to apply on your behalf. It was ok, got lots of free pens but no visa
If you're not in a trade or on skills list for canada or Oz then it'll really just be a day out - but that's just my opinion! If it's not hassle to get to you could head along just to get info on lifestyles in each country - I was thinking Oz before we went to it but changed to Canada then afterwards!
If u are on skills list for a country then head along, they will be falling over themselves to talk to you

Cheers canadia, think i might pop along so

canadia Registered User

Coll & Tosh, if it's not major hassle for you to get to it then head along. I wouldn't spend money travelling across the country (like I did) to get to it. I don't want to be the dream crusher when all I do these days is dream away the Ireland blues :-)

It might help with decision making or give you an idea of what's in demand in each country and then you can spend a year to try save and upskill? That's what I'm doing at the mo, getting a qualification to match my experience, hopefully that should tie my cv together and then I'm heading off on the IEC to Canada. If nothing else, it'll be a big adventure!

If you want something you have to make it happen, where there's a will there's a way and all that

1 person has thanked this post

What industries are covered in it? Also, any ideas on the admission fee? I am in the software industry and although I have a job here, I would like to abroad for a while.

COYW said:
What industries are covered in it? Also, any ideas on the admission fee? I am in the software industry and although I have a job here, I would like to abroad for a while.

http://www.workingabroad.net/expo/index.html

2 people have thanked this post
Sync Registered User

There's one in Cork next Wednesday, http://www.workingabroad.net/expo/cork.html

earpul80 Registered User

Go to the expo bring a CV. I went last October met with an employer from Canada whom i had arranged to meet (previously applied for a job with them) met 2 of there area directors, got offered the job the next day and am off to Canada fully paid for in May.

2 people have thanked this post
Plumberboy Registered User

Hey I am just over 30, but out of employment, I am a fully qualified plumber and am going to bring my Certificates with me on Saturday to the expo...Do you think i should be okay if i wanted to go to Canada even though i have not been on the books in over a year I think the fact i have my Certs should be a big help hopefully

galwaygal27 Registered User

earpul80 said:
Go to the expo bring a CV. I went last October met with an employer from Canada whom i had arranged to meet (previously applied for a job with them) met 2 of there area directors, got offered the job the next day and am off to Canada fully paid for in May.

we'll definitely bring cvs so,

tosh_2006 Registered User

i may go in the morning and see whats it's like

hellothere1 Registered User

Plumberboy said:
Hey I am just over 30, but out of employment, I am a fully qualified plumber and am going to bring my Certificates with me on Saturday to the expo...Do you think i should be okay if i wanted to go to Canada even though i have not been on the books in over a year I think the fact i have my Certs should be a big help hopefully

35 is the cut-off point for Canada (inclusive), 30 is the cut-off point for Australia.

hiscan Registered User

hellothere1 said:
35 is the cut-off point for Canada (inclusive), 30 is the cut-off point for Australia.

So if you're 36 or older,you won't be allowed in to work in Canada under any circumstances?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!