blondeonblonde Registered User

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am looking to connect my laptop to my TV but am having trouble finding the right cable (at the right price).

My laptop has both a VGA and a HDMI port (as does the TV) - however, what I'm not sure about is whether I also need to buy a cable in order to transmit the sound from the laptop to my TV speakers?

I had a quick look on Elara to get a standard VGA cable but can't seem to find one. They do have this HDMI - DVI cable, although I would need to buy an adapter with this as well. Could anyone let me know if I would need an audio cable with this also?

Thanks & much appreciated.

airbus125 Registered User

Hi,
If u buy an HDMI cable it will transfer both sound and picture to your tv. A VGA cable will only transfer picture.

Definitely HDMI, the analog VGA video quality is inferior to the digital HDMI signal.

komplett.ie is selling HDMI cables from €11.99 (incl. VAT and delivery)

blondeonblonde Registered User

Excellent. Thanks a million lads.

Some €2 shops stock HDMI Cable for.....

fionny Registered User

Ya HDMI, do not buy one of those stupid expensive cables... the prices some of them go to is absolute madness!

johneire31 Registered User

I get mine online, on ebay or similar. If you go into a shop here looking for a 5 metre cable you should consider bringing the IMF along with you. For some reason they have a fairly hefty price on them

j

Plascebo Registered User

Power city sell the 2 mtr cable for roughly a fiver, and 3 mtr for €12, bought the shorter version and fairly sturdy connections, can't go wrong!

Moanin Registered User

blondeonblonde said:
Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am looking to connect my laptop to my TV but am having trouble finding the right cable (at the right price).

My laptop has both a VGA and a HDMI port (as does the TV) - however, what I'm not sure about is whether I also need to buy a cable in order to transmit the sound from the laptop to my TV speakers?

I had a quick look on Elara to get a standard VGA cable but can't seem to find one. They do have this HDMI - DVI cable, although I would need to buy an adapter with this as well. Could anyone let me know if I would need an audio cable with this also?

Thanks & much appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation but my laptop only has VGA and 3 usb ports. Is it possible to get a USB to HDMI adapter?

Thanks

fasttalkerchat Registered User

Moanin said:
I'm in a similar situation but my laptop only has VGA and 3 usb ports. Is it possible to get a USB to HDMI adapter?

Thanks

You can get a VGA cable with a audio headphone jack. I got one for a fiver on ebay.
Just check that the jack will reach your headphone ports.

1 person has thanked this post

Moanin said:
Is it possible to get a USB to HDMI adapter?

You can get a USB graphics adapter with HDMI or DV-I out. However, these are not very powerful GPUs, OK to watch a movie but not for gaming.

Elara have some in stock, i.e. this one for €80 (incl. delivery)

riclad Registered User

Buy vga to vga ,male both ends, ten euro approx, ,peats ,maplins pcworld.
TRY resolution 1024x768, refresh rate 60mhz, graphics settings , advanced , right click desktop,to acess grahics card settings,, works fine for me, youtube, dvds etc
i see no point in getting a usb to hdmi unit.
some hardware bargain, shops sell 2meter hdmi 5 euro.
if using vga u can use 3.5 to 3.5mm audio cable, or 3.5mm to rca audio
depends on your tv connectors, for sound,use audio lineout or headphone audio out from the laptop.
I get a great picture using vga on my tv..
For fastalkerchat just use vga out.You may need to go to tv menu,audio in,volume to set volume from rca or 3.5mm connector.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!