Niles Registered User
#1

http://www.modernrsi.webs.com/

It would seem that a NIR 80 class railcar might escape the cutter's torch after all, have to say fair play to the MRSI for being willing to fund the transportation costs.

Cookie_Monster Registered User
#2

they appear to have stolen the MRSI acronym from the model railway society of Ireland, nice of them.

lord lucan Registered User
#3

Whilst railcars/dmu's aren't my cup of tea,the 80's are the exception due to their stint on the Maynooth & Greystones services in the early 90's. Travelled frequently on them and their unique thumping could be heard from a considerable distance away.

3 people have thanked this post
#4

The GSRPS "Relief of Navan" railtour on the 30th April 1988 is my most enjoyable memory of the 80 class. Full catering too!


Tour pauses at Duleek © Hassard Stacpoole

5 people have thanked this post
lord lucan Registered User
#5

How did they mount the headboard JD? I only see one lamp bracket on the drivers side of the front of the unit.

#6

lord lucan said:
How did they mount the headboard JD? I only see one lamp bracket on the drivers side of the front of the unit.


You have me there - but I remember the late Brian Greene had a struggle using a very large bayonet and some wire when putting it on in Connolly. Several people were foolish enough to offer him advice......the headboard still exists at Dromod.

3 people have thanked this post
Niles Registered User
#7

The Nordies seem to love going for 'noisy' when it comes to their railcars... even the 3000s have a pretty loud 'zoom' off them when departing compared to the 29000s (both CAF products). Travelled on a 80 a few times, first time was out to Cultra... the seating itself seemed fine but was never a fan of the little tables shelves they had with them.

Hungerford Registered User
#8

Apparently, Downpatrick wish to acquire 90, 94, 752, and 749. I am a little surprised as I think that 69 is in far better condition than 90 and 94 based on my experiences with them heading up the Larne line in the period prior to their withdrawal.

flyingsnail Registered User
#9

Hungerford said:
Apparently, Downpatrick wish to acquire 90, 94, 752, and 749. I am a little surprised as I think that 69 is in far better condition than 90 and 94 based on my experiences with them heading up the Larne line in the period prior to their withdrawal.


While I don’t know the criteria they used to select the units it may be the case that the units selected were in better mechanical condition.

1 person has thanked this post
#10

It is interesting to see a society interested in the contemporary railway scene in Ireland. Anyone on boards a member or have any general info about this grouping that they would like to share ?

http://www.modernrsi.webs.com/

CaptainFreedom Registered User
#11

steamengine said:
It is interesting to see a society interested in the contemporary railway scene in Ireland. Anyone on boards a member or have any general info about this grouping that they would like to share ?

http://www.modernrsi.webs.com/


Primarily based in the North, similar aims as the IRRS down here. And in best Norn Iron tradition, half of them are called Ian

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!