padser Registered User

Apologies if there is already a thread on this or if it's been covered in detail in the match thread but did anyone else find Shaggy to be a great addition to the RTE panel?

The utter contempt he showed for Hook and the way he didn't let him away with some of his drivel was priceless. There is a great moment during half time where the camera pans out from Hook and Shaggy is rolling his head in disgust.

Now if only RTE would get rid of pope, hook and McGuirke and replace them with Shaggy, O Shea and Matt Williams I might actually watch RTE coverage.....

3 people have thanked this post
profitius Registered User

I think hes good. He is smart and looks on the bright side of things.

I seem to be the only one that likes Hook. Since I moved to Spain he's the thing I miss most about February weekends!

Obviously he talks out his hole a lot of the time but he needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Give me him over Inverdale and co anyday.

Shaggy is very good though in what I've seen of him before

Flincher Registered User

I find his tone a little condescending at times, but his analysis in general seems spot on.

ray jay Registered User

My one reservation is that he's still a member of the Leinster squad so he can't be too critical of team mates.

13 people have thanked this post
Tox56 Registered User

Same as above, current players can't really make great pundits, but when he retires I'm sure he will be very good.

WeeBushy Registered User

Has the making of a great pundit imo. He's very articulate, and when he (sadly) retires he won't be as restricted from being critical of his team mates. Offers a different, more informed, outlook to the bluster of Hook, Pope and McGuirk which can only be a good thing.

wp_rathead Registered User

Tox56 said:
Same as above, current players can't really make great pundits, but when he retires I'm sure he will be very good.

Frankie Sheehan

6 people have thanked this post
Higher Banned

The best pundit in Ireland and the UK for that matter from what I have seen.

thebaz Registered User

I think it is good to get a fresh take on the game, especially from someone well connected to the setup - Hook , however hard he tries , will never be a dunphy , Eamon was original , Hook is just a bore , well past his sell by

I think he's a good pundit, he has a good technical insight and counterbalances Hook's nonsense pretty well.

I dont think the fact that he's still a Leinster player detracts from his punditry at all. I think it makes him better for it because it forces him to be diplomatic so he cant be accused of being blatantly biased like Frankie which makes him more credible.

He does get a bit tongue tied now and again but I'm sure its not easy trying to condense your opinions into a 15 second answer. A panel of Shaggy, Conor and Pope would be great. Pope is a decent analyst I think but Hook has dragged him down to his level over the years. Take the troll that is George Hook out of the panel and I think we could have great insight, and disagreements on the core issues rather than disagreement for the sake of TV at the expense of everything else.

Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school

1 person has thanked this post
its_phil Registered User

boynesider said:
Shaggy is a sound man.

But as a fellow Meath man and a near enough neighbour of his I haven't a clue were hes got that accent from! At least the likes of Kearney can use the excuse that they went off to boarding school

You trying being mates with Brian O'Driscoll so!

yosser hughes Registered User

boynesider said:
Shaggy is a sound man.

I think he can be thankful he has lost the Meath accent
In fairness,how long has he been living in and earning his living in Dublin?

skregs Registered User

boynesider said:
Shaggy is a sound man.

Are his parents not English? At least they lived in England for years before he was born, so he probably got it from them

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!