Lapin said:
Whats pathetic is the ridiculous expectation that a city the size of Galway can mantain 2 (let alone 3 last season) teams in the Airtricity league.

They can't maintain one at the moment. The people of Galway, in general, couldn't give a fuck about League of Ireland football.

You'll still see plenty of United/Liverpool/Celtic jersies around though. The myth that its not working cause its their fourth sport is just that, a myth.

monkey9 Registered User

What's the craic with the Galway/Gust anyway? Are they actually still in existence? Are they playing in an amateur league?

CSF Registered User

If Salthill Devon are considered a laughing stock, I don't know what you consider Galway United and those other clubs who pissed themselves into oblivion only to ask for a licence under a different guise.

Salthill Devon are a solid club with excellent facilities who are still finding their feet at senior level. As such it makes perfect sense to set up in Terryland, as the previous tenants were a laughing stock who ran themselves out of existence. Since Galway United ran themselves out of existence it is great news that a county as big as Galway has a club to represent them.

Galway United should be back of the queue of clubs looking to join the First Division next season.

4 people have thanked this post
monkey9 Registered User

Agree, CSF. I have no idea why Salthill Devon would be considered a laughing stock. They are just trying to progress! It's not like they're p!ssing away a history!

I know Galway Utd have only themselves to blame, but i still hate seeing what's happened to them.

1 person has thanked this post
blue-army Registered User

monkey9 said:
Agree, CSF. I have no idea why Salthill Devon would be considered a laughing stock. They are just trying to progress! It's not like they're p!ssing away a history!

Could they not have progressed and kept their own club colours?

Fair enough that they're playing in Terryland as opposed to Drom.
I don't know how they got a licence last season with no seats at their ground, so the move makes actual sense, however changing club colours doesn't.

Kerrydude1981 Registered User

Galway had a Kerryman playing with last season,Sean Kelly,has he made the move to Salthill Devon?

upandcumming Registered User

gordongekko said:
There was another team that play in maroon and were willing to play in Terryland. All the FAI had to do was accept their application. It will be a long road back for GUSTFC now.

You're very sore aren't you?

Pinturicchio Registered User

Kerrydude1981 said:
Galway had a Kerryman playing with last season,Sean Kelly,has he made the move to Salthill Devon?

No.

I think he might have been training with Tralee Dynamos.

CSF Registered User

monkey9 said:

Could they not have progressed and kept their own club colours?

Fair enough that they're playing in Terryland as opposed to Drom.
I don't know how they got a licence last season with no seats at their ground, so the move makes actual sense, however changing club colours doesn't.

Maybe they could have, but I'm sure they understand their situation better than us.

Zebra3 Registered User

Galway Rovers rebranded themselves as Galway United and Galway United fans walked away from their club (and its debts) to try and set up another club.

Lot of hypocritical blame being handed out in this thread.

Pinturicchio Registered User

Zebra3 said:
Galway Rovers rebranded themselves as Galway United and Galway United fans walked away from their club (and its debts) to try and set up another club.

Galway United fans are still paying GUFC debts.

Zebra3 said:

Whats this "walked away" crap. GUST ran Galway Utd themselves last year and bankrolled it. If anyone walked away from anything it was the board of Galway Utd FC from its responsibilties.

Who is involved in this SD project anyway?

2 people have thanked this post
CSF Registered User

Zebra3 said:

Whats this "walked away" crap. GUST ran Galway Utd themselves last year and bankrolled it. If anyone walked away from anything it was the board of Galway Utd FC from its responsibilties.

Who is involved in this SD project anyway?

The board of Galway were the figureheads of Galway United. I don't understand why we suddenly disassociate the board as being part of the club when they are ****. What Zebra said is pretty much the facts, without bringing emotion into it.

Besides, almost every club has fans that care. It's not the greatest of arguments to use. Galway United ran themselves into oblivion, their fans failed to save them, and thus Salthill Devon have every right to be the club that represents Galway.

Zebra3 Registered User

CiaranC said:
If anyone walked away from anything it was the board of Galway Utd FC from its responsibilties.

The fact is that the fans of Galway United walked away from their club with the hope of setting up a new debt free club in the same way that the fans of the old Derry City did.

It didn't work out the way they expected and now we have to listen to them bitch about it.

CSF said:
Besides, almost every club has fans that care. It's not the greatest of arguments to use. Galway United ran themselves into oblivion, their fans failed to save them, and thus Salthill Devon have every right to be the club that represents Galway.

You werent quite so gung-ho when the FAI set Fingal up as your replacements. Of course it was different with Shels. Its always different with Shels.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!