the scrote Closed Account

company called the RFA,civilian manned support ships for the RN,various vessels,the one in the photo is a troop carrier.has a dock in the arse end that floods for smaller boats to work out of & a large vehicle deck,also a good sized crew bar,also worked on stores ships & tankers with them

lorcan122 said:
Heard about this in a news article, it was a really interesting story, modern day treasure hunters fascinate me.

i think the company is called Odessey or something similar,they had a series on Discovery a while back

roundymac Registered User

the scrote said:
company called the RFA,civilian manned support ships for the RN,various vessels,the one in the photo is a troop carrier.has a dock in the arse end that floods for smaller boats to work out of & a large vehicle deck,also a good sized crew bar,also worked on stores ships & tankers with them

I think the Aussies just bought one of them off the RN, Larges bay?

roundymac said:
I think the Aussies just bought one of them off the RN, Larges bay?

your spot on,thats a sister ship of the one i was on.There was four of that class built a few years ago.I've sailed on two of them,Cardigan bay & Lyme bay,was talking to a few old ship mates that were on it when it was handed over.Alot of people get the rfa confused with the RN but its a different arm.the RFA is classed as merchant navy but i suppose it does alot of the stuff the RN does although there's no love lost between the two,i've some good pics i'll post later of shipwreck's,victims of the Iran Iraq war.

ex_infantry man Closed Account

the scrote said:
i was thinking merchant navy but was,nt too sure, i,d say you,ve seen some very nice places around the globe

Cookie_Monster Registered User

Came across this in Te Wineport Lodge in Athlone last week...

Mickey Dazzler Closed Account

1 person has thanked this post
Conchir Registered User

Both are of ships entering Dublin Port, taken from Howth. The top photo also shows some of the main fleet at the Interschools in 2010.

2 people have thanked this post
Tabnabs Registered User

ILB Grannuaille and NLV Pharos in Dun Laoghaire for the opening of the new CIL headquarters building. The Patricia had to stay alongside for the event as it was too windy for her to get off the quay wall

Sunrise at the K4B platform in the north sea.

Oh for a life on the rolling seas

5 people have thanked this post
323 Registered User

Sunrise this time of year a couple of years back in the Gulf of Mexico, DCV Balder and Devils Tower - Spar Platform further back.

Later on the same day, cranes down, waiting on weather

7 people have thanked this post
Storm 10 Registered User

Check out this website some great pictures of ships here there is a new and old gallery.

Link: http://galwayships.com/

ex_infantry man Closed Account

Storm 10 said:
Check out this website some great pictures of ships here there is a new and old gallery.

Link: http://galwayships.com/
very good website

LiamoSail Registered User

Mickey

Smoke detector head covered? Risky strategy

Mickey Dazzler Closed Account

LiamoSail said:
Smoke detector head covered? Risky strategy

Its not the smoke detector. It the air-con unit that had a nasty habit of spitting out pieces of fluff into you cabin so it was covered up on the orders of the C/E.

LiamoSail Registered User

Mickey Dazzler said:
Its not the smoke detector. It the air-con unit that had a nasty habit of spitting out pieces of fluff into you cabin so it was covered up on the orders of the C/E.

Apologies, I saw the smokes on the desk and jumped to the obvious conclusion

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!