• Get rid of it, we need something new. (73.75%)
  • Save it as a part of Dublins skyline. (17.5%)
  • Cork Opera House. (8.75%)
KerranJast Registered User

You can have skyscrapers and historical architecture. Boston is a great example. All it takes is smart planning and design......oh wait

Oh and whoever compared the Art Deco gorgeousness of the Empire State with the 60s cheapo conrete style of Liberty Hall deserves flogging.

6 people have thanked this post
SHOVELLER Registered User

I agree with the concept of skyscrapers but there are issues with shadows, sunlight, space etc.

Take Hawkins House with it please

Horrible building.
The council should have a raffle or some sort of competition so someone from the public gets to push the button and set off the charges

7 people have thanked this post
FreudianSlippers Registered User

AFAIK Hawkins House is due for demolition once they secure the replacement

Lollymcd Registered User

Have any of you been inside Liberty Hall?

It's cold drafty and dirty. I don't know how people work there, it's extremely depressing once inside. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't qualify as one of those "sick buildings"

It's also really deceptive, it looks big but when your inside it's actually quite small.

I was there for a union meeting last year (I'm private sector btw) I stood looking out of the window and there was a really strong breeze blowing in my face even thought the window was closed.

IMHO what ever they put in place will be no worse than Liberty Hall as it is now. I also think it would attract tourists who would like to climb to the top for the views of Dublin city, bay and mountains.

donvito99 Registered User

Level Liberty Hall with unions inside.

Level Hawkins House with Min for Health inside.

etc.

4 people have thanked this post

FreudianSlippers said:

It looks like this building will be here for quite a while.

Where is the department of health doing to come up with the cash for a replacement.?

http://www.streetsbroadandnarrow.com/2011/08/theatre-royalhawkins-house-hawkins.html

delta_bravo Registered User

Hoping that whenever they do demolish Hawkins house that the demolition is a botch job and also takes down Apollo house. Another awful building.

MadsL Registered User

mikemac1 said:
Ireland's largest union, they are not short of money and have their strike fund built up while other unions have mismanged their strike funds and have no reserves

They have so much money they were able to spend over a quarter of a million on this
>copy of the Proclamation <

Took a lot of members subs to buy that document

At least it stayed in the country...

delta_bravo said:
Hoping that whenever they do demolish Hawkins house that the demolition is a botch job and also takes down Apollo house. Another awful building.

If the council replaced the horrible Soviet Union era green cladding on the side of the building and tidied the place up it wouldn't look so bad. It would also save the taxpayer millions on reconstruction costs. .

1 person has thanked this post
gigino Banned

neris said:
Knock the horrid thing (prefrebly with jack and the other cronies inside)

There could be a huge market selling pieces of concrete from the knocked tower. Look at what happened to the Berlin wall. Millions of souveniers around the world. Lots of people would love souveniers of the actual building the trade union leaders - social partners to the government which wrecked the country during the tiger era - operated from.

Knock it, it gives me shivers every day when I see it.

gigino said:

You should get that looked at.

gigino said:

You should consider wearing blinkers.

Jev/N Registered User

I enjoyed it when it was like this:

6 people have thanked this post

FreudianSlippers said:

Shouldn't be too hard considering the amount of empty office space under NAMA in Dublin.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!