Sad Professor Information Retrieval

This thread is for Netflix film recommendations and discussion ONLY! Any posts containing technical queries relating to DNS or VPN settings will be deleted. Please do not ask questions or start threads about regional workarounds.

33 people have thanked this post
adox Registered User

Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

24 people have thanked this post
S.M.B. Registered User

Friday Night Lights actually makes me want to move to the arse end of Texas.

Following on from the "smile on your face theme", Being Elmo: A Puppeteers Story was added to US Netflix the other day.

Highly recommended for being just an all round feel good and inspiring documentary.

5 people have thanked this post
podgemonster Registered User

Dear Zachery,
The Girlfriend had to leave the room crying. I was holding them back aswell. What an incredible, heartbreaking story!

I liked Frozen also, 3 Americans stuck on a ski-lift. Very tense, short and simply.

Also saw a movie call Rubber about a Tyre who can kill people with its mind. As ridiculous as it sounds, its quite watchable.

6 people have thanked this post
Nyan Cat Registered User

Ahhhh! Zombies
It's incredibly cheesy (intentionally so) and really very funny because of it.
It's a zombie flick- from the zombies perspective. Which is quite unique!
I started watching it as the 'DVD cover' on Netflix and the blurb were so... Yet again cheesy. It was worth it. It's like who framed roger rabbit meets the day of the dead meets your typical teen movie
If you like zombie flicks, piss takes etc. you might well like this. Seriously funny.

krudler Registered User

adox said:
Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

just finished the 5th season of FNL, fantastic show, am a big fan of the original movie and had always been meaning to watch the show but was worried it didnt live up to the film, I was wrong. the second season suffers from the writers strike at the time as its a bit all over the place, especially the
Spoiler (Show)
but it gets better with each season. the ending of season 5 is absolutely brilliant. Tim Riggins is now one of my favorite tv show characters ever.

I've been on a comedy bender the last few nights, really recommend I Am Comic, a doc about standup and a retired comedians attempt to get back into the standup business, some very funny interviews with Sarah Silverman, Louis CK and others:

and this pretty interesting documentary, Pulling John, I'd never heard of John Brzenk before watching it, but sweet jesus, there's undefeated champions and then theres undefeated champions, a professional armwrestler who hasnt been defeated for 25 years goes at it with a Russian prodigy and upstart young American kid who are trying to take his world champion crown, really entertaining doc.

ziggyman17 Registered User

ip man and ip man 2 on the us netflix.. wallander the swedish version on the Irish version..

3 people have thanked this post
Tipsy McSwagger Registered User

Pulling John was very good. I'm currently watching the first season of Sons of Anarchy which is brilliant. It takes a few episodes to click but once it does it's mental.

2 people have thanked this post
NinjaK Banned

For those who just woke up from a coma - Breaking Bad

20 people have thanked this post
campo Registered User

Title: 30 Rock
Genre: Comedy - TV Show
Starring: Alec Baldwin , Tina Faye
Season: 1

Ok just finished watching the above which I found to be very funny and what suprised me was the comic timing of Alec Baldwin who is by far the star of the show.

My only gripe is that it is actually too short most episodes only last 20mins

If you are a fan of programmes like two and haf men then this is for you

1 person has thanked this post
Mickeroo Moderator

campo said:
Title: 30 Rock
Genre: Comedy - TV Show
Starring: Alec Baldwin , Tina Faye
Season: 1

Ok just finished watching the above which I found to be very funny and what suprised me was the comic timing of Alec Baldwin who is by far the star of the show.

My only gripe is that it is actually too short most episodes only last 20mins

If you are a fan of programmes like two and haf men then this is for you

Balwin is legendary in that show!

Two documentaries worth a look on the US netflix I watched recently - Bustin' Down the Door about the birth of pro surfing and Pearl Jam Twenty chronicling twenty years of Pearl Jam, directed by Cameron Crowe

johnny_ultimate Production Model EVA-02

Folks let's not get too bogged down with TV discussion. No problem at all with a bit of general banter in this thread (and it would be utterly futile and unfair trying to mod that), and there will surely be film fans interested in some of the great shows on there, but (to state the obvious) this is the film forum and there's a similar thread over in the TV forum for talk about TV shows

3 people have thanked this post
Mr.David Registered User

1. The Station Agent: Slow moving story, but very nicely shot and a real feel good movie. 4/5

2. In the Mood for Love: Very arty movie set in Hong Kong, worth a look. Not much to it though. 3/5

3. High Fidelity: Hadn't seen it in years. Cleverly narrated John Cusack flick. 3.5/5

4. The Insider: Great movie based around the tobacco industry in America. 4/5

1 person has thanked this post

Mr.David said:

4. The Insider: Great movie based around the tobacco industry in America. 4/5

Never actually saw The Insider. Might give that a go tonight. After a few episodes of Married with Children! Ahead of it's time I tell ya!

Fysh Moderator

I have a mixed feeling about the anime selection - on the one hand, there's a bunch of stuff there I'd like to watch (yay!) but on the other hand, it all seems to be dubbed rather than subtitled (BOOOO!).

I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time the other night and despite the dubbing it was pretty damn good. A nice take on time-travel and a good enough story, weaving between time-travel and high-school drama quite deftly.

Any other recommendations from the UK/Ireland anime selection?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!